Soon to be RT owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikaela

5 Year Member
Soon to be tortoise owner
Hi everyone:) I'm new here and need some advice. So I'm looking into buying a Russian tortoise, I've read that you shouldn't buy them from pet stores but I really have no option. The only possible place I could adopt for only adopts out to "members in good standing" I honestly don't know what that means and I'm sure it would take a while to becom in"good standing" with them. So i will probably buy from a pet smart or petco. Yes I'm going to find a vet and get it checked out. I need some advice on what type of products I should buy, like what lamps and the best and most inexpensive setup I could build. Ive done a ton of research on them and i guess i just need somw professional help. Thanks in advance!:)[/quote]

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome, Mikaela! :) It makes me happy that you are doing your research BEFORE you get your tortoise. :)

I would recommend looking on your local Craigslist, under the 'pet' section of 'Community' (usually somewhere around the top left area of Craigslist). That's where I got most of my tortoises. Often they will be sold for less or about the same as they would cost at the pet store, but they will often include an aquarium or something. Aquariums are no good for tortoises, but you can always re-sell that on CL, and get some of your money back. You can expect to pay $60-120 at a pet store for an RT, or $40-100 (including some lights etc) on Craigslist. I've found that LOTS of people sell Russian torts on Craigslist about 3-6 months after Christmas, because they or their children get tired of their Christmas-tortoise.

There are also some websites that sell tortoises, just do a Google search for "Russian tortoise for sale" - those will be around $150 shipped.

There is a great care sheet on Russiantortoise.net and a good list of edible plants.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Mikaela said:
Soon to be tortoise owner
Hi everyone:) I'm new here and need some advice. So I'm looking into buying a Russian tortoise, I've read that you shouldn't buy them from pet stores but I really have no option. The only possible place I could adopt for only adopts out to "members in good standing" I honestly don't know what that means and I'm sure it would take a while to becom in"good standing" with them. So i will probably buy from a pet smart or petco. Yes I'm going to find a vet and get it checked out. I need some advice on what type of products I should buy, like what lamps and the best and most inexpensive setup I could build. Ive done a ton of research on them and i guess i just need somw professional help. Thanks in advance!:)
[/quote]

Mikaela

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the welcomes:) and I've found a nearby breeder and the tortoise comes with a 40 gallon aquarium. Is that not a good enclosure? Thanks :)

tickle

5 Year Member
There is a hatchling for sale in the sales forum on this site its undoer Hermann's plus only 100$ that's a steal for a hatchling

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
tickle said:
There is a hatchling for sale in the sales forum on this site its undoer Hermann's plus only 100$ that's a steal for a hatchling

Thats a Hermanns, the OP is asking about a Russian Tort.

tickle

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
tickle said:

Thats a Hermanns, the OP is asking about a Russian Tort.

The Russians are the pluss in the Hermann's plusss headline.he has both check the post first I don't support buying them at petco or petsmart they are old and beat up this is a chance for her to get a captive bred Russian for even cheaper then the chainstores.100$ this time of year when no dealers have any right now except for the crappy ones this is a steal.just read the sell post.

Status
Not open for further replies.