Sophia

carlyn

Hi I have a herman tortoise called Sophia and she is 4 years old. She's been a good eater but now she won't eat her salad leaves or even her treat which is some fruit, although she is eating her dried food which she gets too. She's also started scraping the sides of her tortoise table which she constantly does. Can anyone advise please and also what are thoughts on the edible bedding??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi I have a herman tortoise called Sophia and she is 4 years old. She's been a good eater but now she won't eat her salad leaves or even her treat which is some fruit, although she is eating her dried food which she gets too. She's also started scraping the sides of her tortoise table which she constantly does. Can anyone advise please and also what are thoughts on the edible bedding??
What are the 4 temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
What bulbs are you using to light and heat the enclosure? UV? What type?
What size table?
You said 4 years old, but what size is Sophia? In grams?
Fruit can upset their GI tract. I wouldn't do that.
Edible bedding should not be used. They need humidity which comes from using the correct substrate and keeping it damp.

There is a ton of misinformation out in the world. Here is the correct care info:

carlyn

Everything set up right and she is in 5ft by 4ft house She only gets a treat occasionaly and what substrate do you use, i use soil one half and beech chips mixed in the other half