Source for feed snails?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Where does anyone source aquatic snails to use as a live food for their turtles?
What type of snails are good food sources?
I have access to plenty of wild snails, but I’ve read they can carry LUNG FLUKES that can kill the turtles that eats them. Not sure if that’s true or not, but sounds horrible! 😵‍💫
Thanks!

Mooz

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I buy snails off of eBay for my aquariums. I have pea puffers that eat them and the other tanks get the nerite snails and mystery snails to clean the tank. They are bred in the sellers own tanks. I feel if they have them in their tanks they should be safe for mine. Not sure if that's the kind of snails you are looking for though.
Otherwise you could search for the snails/escargot that are raised for human consumption.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Asian markets will sometimes carry frozen land snails. My friend used to buy them there for his caiman lizard. I have no idea if this type will be suitable food for your aquatic turtles or not.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I recently set up a ' paludarium' - it's a waterfall flowing into a small aquarium. I'm not that keen on keeping fish so it's more for the plants.

Anyway, I bought 4 rabbit snails as they are relatively local and interesting. There must have been a few hitchhiking snail eggs on the aquatic plants, 2 varieties actually. I'm only 2 months into having this thing and there are still just 4 rabbit snails, but there are maybe 300 other aquatic snails. I even started off with some shrimp as they eat snail eggs but they haven't made a dent. Those 2 months were enough for the eggs to hatch and the baby snails to reach maturity and start laying eggs of their own.

If you find a food safe source of live snails, chuck some in a small aquarium or even a bucket with some plant matter. They will multiply by the week and provide an endless source of food.

For the love of God buy a variety native to your local area though. Those microscopic eggs are definitely going to get out during a water change or by some other means.