South Korea Greens

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
Hello,
I did a bit of research on the leaves that are (I think) sold in South Korea.
I will gather the information and ask for more information.

Please correct me if you see anything wrong.

food ok to eat:
열무 (Summer radish ): only the leaves.
아욱 (Mallow)
로메인 (Romaine lettuce)
치커리 (Chicory)
스위트바질 (sweet basil) : but tortoise might not like the taste

food ok to eat sometimes (once a week?):

I think every lettuces are okay to eat,
but except chicory and Romaine other lettuces contain more water and might not give a lot of nutrients. But I think they can be mixed with other nutritious leaves sometimes.

적겨자 (Red mustard green) : tortoise might not like the taste
루꼴라 (arugula/ rocket)
케일 (kale)

Dont give those food at the same time. Can be mixed with the previous section

food that I think might be okay to eat but I couldn't find info, so if you know please let me know:
And let me know in which category:

호박잎 (pumpkin leaves) : it seems squash leaves are okay, so i would guess pumpkin would be too. I would maybe put it in the second section with red mustard?

카이피라 (caipira lettuce) : I hesitate to put it with the other lettuce in 1st category or with the cabbages in 2nd category...

참나물 (chamnamul) : no idea where to put this one.

프릴아이스 (frill ice): maybe it is frisee iceberg lettuce? If it is I guess it would be with the watery lettuces

어린잎 샐러드 (young leaves salad mix)

thank you

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Summer radish leaves are in the second category (add sparingly to diet).

Pumpkin leaves are safe to feed. Perhaps in the first category.
Caipira lettuce looks like one of the romaine lettuce varietes (or just the same).

Chamnamul, as I can tell, is okay to feed from time to time.

Frillice (frill ice) lettuce is less rich in nutrition than romaine, so it's more like iceberg lettuce.

I wasn't able to find what's inside "young leaves salad mix". I think it differs from country to country (in Cyprus it has spinach, rocket, beetroot, romaine lettuce leaves mostly).

I've found a list of plants in Namul (here -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namul) and some of the ingredients are fine to feed as a part of variety diet (most fall in the second category):
  • gat (갓, mustard green)
  • geundae (근대, chard)
  • dureup (두릅, Korean angelica tree shoot)
  • naengi (냉이, shepherd's purse)
  • yuchae (유채, rapeseed green)
  • gondre (곤드레, Korean thistle) - this one looks like totally safe
  • sigeumchi (시금치, spinach)
Also, you can use tortoise pellet food to "spice up" grocery greens: something like Hikari Mulberrific, ZooMed Grassland, Agrobs Pre Alpine Testudo, Mazuri Tortoise Diet (LS or original). Not sure which ones you can find, but you may have local brands as well and we can look at ingredients to say which one is better.

And I'll call @RosemaryDW to this thread, she definitely knows more than me.

South Korea
Hello!
Summer radish leaves are in the second category (add sparingly to diet).

Pumpkin leaves are safe to feed. Perhaps in the first category.
Caipira lettuce looks like one of the romaine lettuce varietes (or just the same).

Chamnamul, as I can tell, is okay to feed from time to time.

Frillice (frill ice) lettuce is less rich in nutrition than romaine, so it's more like iceberg lettuce.

I wasn't able to find what's inside "young leaves salad mix". I think it differs from country to country (in Cyprus it has spinach, rocket, beetroot, romaine lettuce leaves mostly).

I've found a list of plants in Namul (here -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namul) and some of the ingredients are fine to feed as a part of variety diet (most fall in the second category):
  • gat (갓, mustard green)
  • geundae (근대, chard)
  • dureup (두릅, Korean angelica tree shoot)
  • naengi (냉이, shepherd's purse)
  • yuchae (유채, rapeseed green)
  • gondre (곤드레, Korean thistle) - this one looks like totally safe
  • sigeumchi (시금치, spinach)
Also, you can use tortoise pellet food to "spice up" grocery greens: something like Hikari Mulberrific, ZooMed Grassland, Agrobs Pre Alpine Testudo, Mazuri Tortoise Diet (LS or original). Not sure which ones you can find, but you may have local brands as well and we can look at ingredients to say which one is better.

And I'll call @RosemaryDW to this thread, she definitely knows more than me.
Oh thank you. That's so useful.

But now I have a lot of radish leaves which I don't know what to do with 🤣

It was a big bag for 1dollar. I will give some to a friend I met who also has turtles

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh thank you. That's so useful.

But now I have a lot of radish leaves which I don't know what to do with 🤣

It was a big bag for 1dollar. I will give some to a friend I met who also has turtles
You can store them in a plastic box in a fridge. Put a paper towel at the bottom and they should last for a week or so.

Yet I understand what you are talking about :) A get a big pack of endive or rocket salad for 50 cents and have to throw away 3/4 of it (my tortoise tries hard to eat it all but that's just too much for a single tortoise). I'm seriously thinking about a compost pile now :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA