Space constraints vs. re-homing uncertainties

FenderStrat73

Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
I could use some advice please. Here's my situation. A good friend of mine passed away last month, and I took in his 5 year old, 10" long red foot tortoise named Sonny. The current terrarium enclosure is way too small, so my wife and I have been looking into providing more space. Ideally he would need a 4' x 8' enclosure, but we live in New York City and don't have that much space. Our current apartment is bigger than most apartments in NYC, but it's only enough to support about half that. We are considering an Animal Plastics 48"L x 30"W x 18"H or having one built similar size. My first question is can Sonny live a reasonably happy and healthy life in half the recommended space? If not, then my second question is does anyone know of a secure way to re-home a tortoise, knowing that it's going to a good home with proper space and conditions? We are worried that a shelter would just send him to someone else in NYC with the same space restraints as us. In that case we'd rather keep him and provide the best care we can. We just want what's best for Sonny, but are unsure what is best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the AP cage would work, especially if you can make some sort of outdoor housing for nice weather during the warmer months. If not, I think it would be best to give the tortoise to a member here that lives down south in a warm humid area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. If his only enclosure is the inside one, you should rehome him. All tortoises should be able to live outside at least part of the year.

FenderStrat73

New York, NY
I think the AP cage would work, especially if you can make some sort of outdoor housing for nice weather during the warmer months. If not, I think it would be best to give the tortoise to a member here that lives down south in a warm humid area.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to look into the possibility of outdoor housing. It wouldn't be completely out of the question. I am from down south, and was thinking as I researched care for red foots that they shouldn't really be living this far north.