Re-did his enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
Well my enclosure used to be half coconut fiber and half sphagnum moss. I also didnt have the plants growing but tonight i re-did his enclosure and took away a lot of the coconut fiber and now its about 85% moss. Where the fiber is i added a sunflower and bellpepper plant. his hiding spot is coconut fiber with a little bit of moss on top. does it look better now? anything i need to change? Btw this is my red foot BABY terrarium. he's only staying in there for maybe a year and a half. its 3ft X 1.5ft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Bellpepper plants are toxic they can only eat the pepper not the leaves

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. However, it of course may just be the pic, but it looks dry. RF need high humidity. Also, watch the moss, it will mold. That's why I like and only use coir.

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks good! I like the Sun Flower! I'm sure he'll really enjoy chomping on that one! Saw your other post on the original, but I'd figure I'd post here. I didn't know about the Bell Pepper plant either! Always good to know! Just make sure you keep everything moist and humid and you should be good to go!

Did you get rid of your red heat light? I would keep that until you can replace it with a Ceramic Heat Emitter unless your room doesn't drop below 70 at nights. Gotta keep the temps up otherwise you could end up with a Respiratory Infection. Heat + Humidity = nice looking tort. Cool temps + Humidity = possible URI. Sorry if I lead you wrong on that one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
antonio_cormier said:
i took it out right when i saw this, thanks!

Made the same mistake and a good person named emysemys got me on the right track.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
abclements said:
Looks good! I like the Sun Flower! I'm sure he'll really enjoy chomping on that one! Saw your other post on the original, but I'd figure I'd post here. I didn't know about the Bell Pepper plant either! Always good to know! Just make sure you keep everything moist and humid and you should be good to go!

Did you get rid of your red heat light? I would keep that until you can replace it with a Ceramic Heat Emitter unless your room doesn't drop below 70 at nights. Gotta keep the temps up otherwise you could end up with a Respiratory Infection. Heat + Humidity = nice looking tort. Cool temps + Humidity = possible URI. Sorry if I lead you wrong on that one.

i live on the second floor of our house and i always keep it above 70 degrees

abclements

5 Year Member
Ok sounds good. I didn't notice that you live in Louisiana until right now... Your temps are probably perfect for housing a RF! Wish I could say the same about Eastern WA lol If you can, give him some outside time every day. He'll thank you for that with a smooth shell and a long life! :)

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
abclements said:
Ok sounds good. I didn't notice that you live in Louisiana until right now... Your temps are probably perfect for housing a RF! Wish I could say the same about Eastern WA lol If you can, give him some outside time every day. He'll thank you for that with a smooth shell and a long life! :)

yea i usually let him out only when its above 70° outside or when its not raining. unfortunately today it was too cold

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
that water dish is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. That's the worst trade-off for a smallish enclosure, the turtle can't avoid walking through the water. Best way I've found to lessen it is to have the dish away from the walls enough that the tort can clear it if they pace the wall perimiters (what am I talking about... WHEN they pace the perimiter).. also, it's not pretty I know but, if your tort paces too much you may want to tape paper around your set up so they can't constantly see out.. turtles don't understand glass and will only see freedom if they could just walk through the other side of the invisible wall.. while not appealing to the keeper it will lessen stress on the animal considerably..

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Michael in MO said:
that water dish is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. That's the worst trade-off for a smallish enclosure, the turtle can't avoid walking through the water. Best way I've found to lessen it is to have the dish away from the walls enough that the tort can clear it if they pace the wall perimiters (what am I talking about... WHEN they pace the perimiter).. also, it's not pretty I know but, if your tort paces too much you may want to tape paper around your set up so they can't constantly see out.. turtles don't understand glass and will only see freedom if they could just walk through the other side of the invisible wall.. while not appealing to the keeper it will lessen stress on the animal considerably..

I have my water dish at the very end ... Tyrone walks thru the water any way ... He will walk all over the place!

Status
Not open for further replies.