Space for Sulcata?

Nickolas

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have a neighbor who wants to rehome their 3lb male sulcata. I have three others of a smaller size that were rehomed to me. They of course are and would be separate until I can garuntee gender and size compatability. I have around 2,097 square feet for them. There are a lot of visual barriers. For the cold months, I would split the attic and basement between them. I plan on using pond liner and/or plywood to contain their subtrate...the attic has a shaggy purple carpet about 2in. The people who lived here before us were strange. Do you think the 2,097 square feet would be enough to house four sulcatas? They would be in a yard that size for 6yrs. give or take. That is until we move somewhere with more land. I cannot find anyone ? who wants a male sulcata in my area. I could take it, but I do not want to crowd them.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Is it better for that tortoise though to go somewhere that it isn't taken care of, or MAYBE be a LITTLE crowded at our place?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Based on my experience here in Maryland housing ONE Sully, i think you are going to have your hands full taking good care of four Sullys all Winter long. Summertime is easy. Once October Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar April & May arrives...you have your hands full maintaining proper heat, humidity, lighting & food. Ogh, soaking too.

You could take it during the rest of Summer, but work toward rehoming a few.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think 2100 square feet is big enough for one large adult. Its adequate, but bigger would be better. For four? No. Way too small. And in an attic on carpet all winter long. No. Not suitable housing.