1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

3,200+ square feet. Too large for an 8 inch tortoise?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by TechnoCheese, Feb 11, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Lewisville, Texas
    One of my yards is roughly 3,200 square feet(80x40), likely larger because it’s a weird shape that I can’t measure properly. Should I section it off for Curtis, or is that size fine?
    EllieMay and Ray--Opo like this.
  2. queen koopa

queen koopa Active Member

Las Vegas Nevada
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I’m sure Curtis is down with it. Me personally, would section off a bit so it is easy to find my tort, 8 inches is still so small! (My Sulcata is 22 pounds probably 16-18 inches) And also sectioning off for growing multiple areas of pasture for grazing.
    EllieMay, TechnoCheese and Ray--Opo like this.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    I'd make it a little smaller for now. I'd go 20x40, and use the other half to grow tortoise food. You can open it all up in another year or two, or make sections that are closed off for grazing. Open one section at a time while the other recovers.