Space (The "Rant" thread)

justino4444

5 Year Member
Ok so during the past two or three days I have noticed something here on the forum. I have noticed that in the adoptions and for sale forums everyone seems to like to reply "I have 1-15 acres of land and would love to have your tortoise." Now, what I find to be kind of annoying is when people who say they have like 10 acres and then give their sulcata tortoise a 15x15 foot pen. Now if you have a lot of land and that is your reason as to why you can get a large tortoise why not use it for your tortoise?! If your argument to getting a tortoise is that you have land and room for them then USE IT! Now me personnally, I only have half an acre for my russian tort but, I have a pool so it kind of takes away from my yard space. So, I tried to give my russian as much space In my yard as possible because I knew that they need to roam. Sorry that this became kind of a rant but if you have an opinion reply below.

~ Justin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I see your point, Justin. Why say you have so much space if you're not going to give it over to the tortoise?

One thing that bothers ME about the 'wanted' section is brand new members only joining to 'want' something. Tell us a bit about yourself and let us get to know you before you try to get something for nothing. rant...rant!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Maybe this is a good thread for something tortadise (Kelly Hull) and I were talking about, "how much space per pounds of tortoise is a good range size?" The quickie result was about 500 square feet per 100 pounds of tortoise (using lkeopards and sulcata as the example), given seasonal productivity of the ground. One limit to tortoise pen size would be the fence or barrier required.

justino4444

5 Year Member
I see your point, Justin. Why say you have so much space if you're not going to give it over to the tortoise?

One thing that bothers ME about the 'wanted' section is brand new members only joining to 'want' something. Tell us a bit about yourself and let us get to know you before you try to get something for nothing. rant...rant!!
Exactly! Thank you, I was worried I was the only one who was bothered by this

~ Justin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get irked when someone's first post is asking to "adopt" a free tortoise. Why would people assume that someone wants to just give them a valuable free tortoise.

It gets even worse when they want a free tortoise because money is tight. Tortoises don't care if money is tight. They need what they need, and they need it when they need it. I understand not having money. I grew up poor. We couldn't afford milk. McDonalds was a rare treat only when Dad got a lot of overtime pay on that check, but only one hamburger each, no cheeseburgers. Cheeseburgers cost too much. If someone is tight on money they shouldn't be taking on a new pet that could potentially cost hundreds or thousands of dollars in vet care, enclosures, heating and lighting, supplies, food, etc...

My biggest complaint is the 6-8" tortoise in the little itty bitty enclosure in an apartment with no yard and no balcony. Then you tell them the enclosure is too small and the answer is something like, "Well that is all the room I have right now..." I just want to scream: " WELL THEN YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO KEEP A TORTOISE!!!!!!!"

Okay. That's MY rant.

justino4444

5 Year Member
I get irked when someone's first post is asking to "adopt" a free tortoise. Why would people assume that someone wants to just give them a valuable free tortoise.

It gets even worse when they want a free tortoise because money is tight. Tortoises don't care if money is tight. They need what they need, and they need it when they need it. I understand not having money. I grew up poor. We couldn't afford milk. McDonalds was a rare treat only when Dad got a lot of overtime pay on that check, but only one hamburger each, no cheeseburgers. Cheeseburgers cost too much. If someone is tight on money they shouldn't be taking on a new pet that could potentially cost hundreds or thousands of dollars in vet care, enclosures, heating and lighting, supplies, food, etc...

My biggest complaint is the 6-8" tortoise in the little itty bitty enclosure in an apartment with no yard and no balcony. Then you tell them the enclosure is too small and the answer is something like, "Well that is all the room I have right now..." I just want to scream: " WELL THEN YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO KEEP A TORTOISE!!!!!!!"

Okay. That's MY rant.
Good point. If money is tight it's not the best idea to get a "money eating" pet

~ Justin

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Okay. That's MY rant.
Thanks for saying that . I've been wanting to say that but didn't want to offend anyone . I have been keeping reptiles for over twenty years and one thing I have learned is they aren't cheap. Tortoises are one of the most expensive reptilian to keep .

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't mind Someone asking something free of me as long as they're willing to help me when I need it. Like when I went and picked your tort up and you helped me with the heavy block lifting, lol.

I like to trade things and build on the cheap. I use left over materials from work and hit my sub contractors up for there left overs too. My interior framer offered me some of his season tickets to an Astros game and I told him is rather have some steel studs and insulation, lol. I have a client that we built a building for a few years ago (out of warranty now) and she is as cheap as it gets. She won't spend money on stuff but her husband is at the local nursery once a week getting something new so she'll call me to come fix something and I'll give her a list of the plants I want as payment.

Speaking of which. Anyone got an extra radiant panel heater they want to sell me?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

justino4444

5 Year Member
Thanks for saying that . I've been wanting to say that but didn't want to offend anyone . I have been keeping reptiles for over twenty years and one thing I have learned is they aren't cheap. Tortoises are one of the most expensive reptilian to keep .
Tortoise are a very expensive pet to keep but a very rewarding investment

~ Justin

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As a relatively new tortoise on her I know I came relatively unprepared. I had done a lot of research and started a lot better than some but there still a lot of things you don't know until you actually do it no matter how much you read. The advice about making your tortoise and closure as big as you can cannot be overstated enough. I have increased the size of my indoor and outdoor enclosures twice each, and will be increasing the outdoor one again because I'm getting another turtle. I think the new owners need to know that enclosures are possibly, and in my Pinion absolutely are, the most expensive part of tortoise care. But if we are too snotty when we tell people that they are just going to get mad and walk away from the forum and their pets will pay the price. The key is to find a happy medium between strongly make it a point without overly offending somebody. I have asked a lot of stupid questions on this forum and I do appreciate people that are patient enough to answer them so I don't usually get upset with people who ask what some people would think our stupid questions. I was there once, I'm still there in some areas, and I will probably be there in the future and still more areas.

justino4444

5 Year Member
As a relatively new tortoise on her I know I came relatively unprepared. I had done a lot of research and started a lot better than some but there still a lot of things you don't know until you actually do it no matter how much you read. The advice about making your tortoise and closure as big as you can cannot be overstated enough. I have increased the size of my indoor and outdoor enclosures twice each, and will be increasing the outdoor one again because I'm getting another turtle. I think the new owners need to know that enclosures are possibly, and in my Pinion absolutely are, the most expensive part of tortoise care. But if we are too snotty when we tell people that they are just going to get mad and walk away from the forum and their pets will pay the price. The key is to find a happy medium between strongly make it a point without overly offending somebody. I have asked a lot of stupid questions on this forum and I do appreciate people that are patient enough to answer them so I don't usually get upset with people who ask what some people would think our stupid questions. I was there once, I'm still there in some areas, and I will probably be there in the future and still more areas.
And I bet, as you already know whenever you have to increase the size of the enclosure it gets more and more expensive. They absolutely are the most expensive part of owning a tortoise

~ Justin

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And I bet, as you already know whenever you have to increase the size of the enclosure it gets more and more expensive. They absolutely are the most expensive part of owning a tortoise

~ Justin
Definitely true, if I knew then what I know now I would've started out with the enclosures this big. There are some very practical reasons why hi can't make my whole yard tortoise and turtle pens but I have made my second bedroom almost entirely critter pens. The lighting is also a big expense people don't think about if they have to keep their tortoises indoors for part of the year. And it is definitely not an area where you want to skimp, for example buying the cheapest bulb. Maybe @Tom thread about avoiding beginor mistakes should be put at the top of every single species specific thread. I am sure that even the most experienced people have made the mistake of not following expert advice, I think it comes a great deal from not knowing what expert advice really is because there is so much conflicting information out there. It took me months to realize that the site was the site to go to.

justino4444

5 Year Member
Definitely true, if I knew then what I know now I would've started out with the enclosures this big. There are some very practical reasons why hi can't make my whole yard tortoise and turtle pens but I have made my second bedroom almost entirely critter pens. The lighting is also a big expense people don't think about if they have to keep their tortoises indoors for part of the year. And it is definitely not an area where you want to skimp, for example buying the cheapest bulb. Maybe @Tom thread about avoiding beginor mistakes should be put at the top of every single species specific thread. I am sure that even the most experienced people have made the mistake of not following expert advice, I think it comes a great deal from not knowing what expert advice really is because there is so much conflicting information out there. It took me months to realize that the site was the site to go to.
I did the same thing, started with a 4x2 and had to keep upgrading

~ Justin

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I would love to let my torts wander freely in my yard but I have no fence and a pool in my yard dont want to loose my torts. But my sulcata is just 8 inches long im going to make a big cage when he gets a little bigger.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree with the gripe of people joining and asking to adopt an animal. If I need to find a home for my boxies I would definitely look here because I know you guys and know you care and will give good homes. But a brand new member immediately asking to adopt would not be considered. I need to "know" you first.

justino4444

5 Year Member
I agree with the gripe of people joining and asking to adopt an animal. If I need to find a home for my boxies I would definitely look here because I know you guys and know you care and will give good homes. But a brand new member immediately asking to adopt would not be considered. I need to "know" you first.
This is a great point. I'm not just going to give away my tort to someone who may just stick it in a small tank and feed it romaine lettuce for the rest of its life and I'm not ok with that. I would need to see pictures of there enclosure and diet and have there knowledge be proven.