Spaghum moss and orchid bark

Series420

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit area, MI
Hey guys.
Tomorrow I will be changing out the substrate in my baby sulcatas house. The climate here has us running AC most of the time during summer so it gets moderately dry inside, around 45-55% humidity. I am wondering if I can mix in some spaghum moss with the orchid bark at any ratio to provide more moisture in the enclosure.. Trying to avoid any potential mold or anything else nasty.

Thank you all in advanced, Hope you and your shell baby have a good one.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys.
Tomorrow I will be changing out the substrate in my baby sulcatas house. The climate here has us running AC most of the time during summer so it gets moderately dry inside, around 45-55% humidity. I am wondering if I can mix in some spaghum moss with the orchid bark at any ratio to provide more moisture in the enclosure.. Trying to avoid any potential mold or anything else nasty.

Thank you all in advanced, Hope you and your shelled friend have a good one.
No moss. They eat it and it can cause impaction. Humidity is maintained by using a large closed chamber with all the heating and lighting inside. Nothing else is going to work. Moss doesn't add humidity any more than anything else with the same amount of moisture in it.

Using a closed chamber eliminates the drying effects of AC or heat. Its the only way to keep humidity high. Using an open top is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It simply cannot work. Its just physics. Sulcatas hatch into the monsoon season in the wild. Imagine New Orleans in the Summer time after a rain when its 100 degrees. THAT is what you are trying to emulate to keep a sulcata healthy. They live under several feet of thick brush with frequent heavy rain and 100+ temperatures every day. Imagine the humidity under all of that...

Series420

Detroit area, MI
No moss. They eat it and it can cause impaction. Humidity is maintained by using a large closed chamber with all the heating and lighting inside. Nothing else is going to work. Moss doesn't add humidity any more than anything else with the same amount of moisture in it.

Using a closed chamber eliminates the drying effects of AC or heat. Its the only way to keep humidity high. Using an open top is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It simply cannot work. Its just physics. Sulcatas hatch into the monsoon season in the wild. Imagine New Orleans in the Summer time after a rain when its 100 degrees. THAT is what you are trying to emulate to keep a sulcata healthy. They live under several feet of thick brush with frequent heavy rain and 100+ temperatures every day. Imagine the humidity under all of that...
Okay I'll order a green house tent.

Thank you for the advice in about the moss also.

Glad I've learned to ask questions here before listening to what the people at the local store tell me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Glad I've learned to ask questions here before listening to what the people at the local store tell me.
Read through this thread at least twice. It will explain what in the heck is going on:

Series420

Detroit area, MI
Read through this thread at least twice. It will explain what in the heck is going on:
I'll do the first read now. Thanks again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Never listen to a pet store. They only want to sell you junk that us either no good or bad. They have no clue about the care or needs of a tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for listening to our collective advice in NOT USING MOSS.
Not long ago. A new member asked about it. Was warned by several members. Argued that they didn't know what they (the members) were talking about and eventually left the forum.
Were not trying to inconvenience anyone. We're trying to help save these animals