Spam

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
What's with all the bots on TFO that just spam at night?
They spam in the morning here. And as they appear to be Korean... they're doing it in the evening. ;)

It is possible that the operators have worked out when it is least likely to be killed off quickly. Today's was advertising forged certificates (thanks Google translate). It even said the email address used would remain live for 24 hours after the bot got killed off :(

Once bots find a site to target, you only seem to be able to kill them off by blocking a range of IP addresses to prevent particular providers from sending spam. It's difficult because you don't want to stop everyone from a particular country from posting.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every once in a while, the forum system lets this happen. I'm not sure why or how, but it's a common thing for at least once a year if not more. Usually it gets corrected or Josh does something to correct it.
@Josh incase you haven't noticed all the spam getting thru.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I come on about 7a each morning, and by that time, the spam is already here. The mods send the threads to the trash can as soon as we see it, and when I come on I copy the IP addresses and ban them. But it only works for a little while, as they have many more IPs they can use. This a.m. I sent Josh an email and a screen shot of all those threads that were here this a.m., to ask him if he can set the spam program to a little more stringent rules so it can catch these threads before they post. Actually there are many, many threads that the spam program does catch before they post, and I don't understand how it can't tell that these are spam too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Yvonne G from what you say the other mods can delete posts, but not ban users?

Could more of the moderators have the power to ban?

If they could just ban the user that's been created to post the spam that would stop the bot in its tracks.

There are one or two that get up at silly o'clock USA time (breakfast time in the UK) and could stop these as soon as they start.

The IP block can be done later although that does risk the IP creating a new user.

On my other forum, where I am a mod, all the mods can do this. We use a tool that bans, blocks IP addresses and deletes posts in one hit. It's not the responsibility of just one person to stop the globe's spambots.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I realise it might be a limitation of XenForo, the TFO platform. My other forum uses vbulletin but is about to switch to Invision Power

When I say 'about', it's taken over year of web development to get close! It's a huge job for a big forum like these are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, all mods can ban spammers, and they do. But that doesn't mean they stay banned. They just sign in with a new username and from a different IP.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
No, all mods can ban spammers, and they do. But that doesn't mean they stay banned. They just sign in with a new username and from a different IP.
What about one of those "tests" to see if your human? like those weird letters or ask to select pictures that have a pizza in it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So all mods need to be able/confident enough to block IPs too.

Anyway, that aside, I have no spam accompanying my breakfast this morning. Fingers crossed! :)

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just came across this old post.
I've got to tell you...Now that I'm one of the new moderators, I remove or deny up to 8 spammers each day before they get in and I remove at least 2 posts a week that got through.
And I'm only here for a few hours a day.
I can't imagine how difficult this was with just the couple of remaining mods we had back then.
It all happens in the background. Out of sight. But it's happening

Last edited:

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Imagine telling people from 1922 that we would be fighting off artificial humans on our own personal machine that can do the work of hundreds of humans 100 years from now…

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I just came across this old post.
I've got to rell you...Now that I'm one of the new moderators, I remove or deny up to 8 spammers each day before they get in and I remove at least 2 posts a week that got through.
I can't imagine how difficult this was with just the couple of remaining mods we had back then.
It all happens in the background. Out of sight. But it's happening
It is very much appreciated thanks to the mods on TFO.