Special bedding???

ChrisColumbia20

Hello again

First of all I could like to say that Fiji my baby red footed tortoise I got last week has been renamed Titus for multiple reasons. Anyways I had a question about substrate getting mixed with food in the dish. I was looking up some videos and i read that if I put pebbles or gravel around the food dish it will help prevent small pieces of substrate getting in his food dish that could cause young Titus harm. So if anyone can give me any advice about the subject that would be fantastic.

Thanks again,
P.S. Titus is doing great and he is loving his new home, heres a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello again

First of all I could like to say that Fiji my baby red footed tortoise I got last week has been renamed Titus for multiple reasons. Anyways I had a question about substrate getting mixed with food in the dish. I was looking up some videos and i read that if I put pebbles or gravel around the food dish it will help prevent small pieces of substrate getting in his food dish that could cause young Titus harm. So if anyone can give me any advice about the subject that would be fantastic.

Thanks again,
P.S. Titus is doing great and he is loving his new home, heres a picture.
Feed your little guy on as big a slate as possible, so when he's feeding he has to be well on the slate away from the substrate to eat.

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Are you using coco coir? I'm not sure if hatchlings occasionally ingesting coco is dangerous or not, I thought eating coco was a non-issue. Mine eats several mouthfuls every time he decides to eat his poop. (I'm a worry-wart so I'm just curious if it's really bad for them)

Virtually everyone on here uses the slate idea. I don't feed in the enclosure so I wouldn't know.