New Baby Redfoot, sleeping pattern?

ChrisColumbia20

Hi everyone I'm Chris,

I'm very new to the site and i'm not even sure if this message will go through but keeping my fingers crossed. Anyways assuming it is, I have just purchases my 1st Red footed tortoise who happens to also be my first reptile. i've had experience with reptiles by volunteering at the Turtle back foot here in New Jersey, i also have experience with other animals(which are also my pets) everything from fire belly toads to Blue Macaws. I've fell in love with tortoises about 2 years ago and since then i've been planning on one, and it was just on Monday that this goal was fulfilled. His/Her name is Fiji, he/she is just a hatching and i ordered them off the turtle source. Living in New Jersey i don't have hands on access to these wonderful animals or at least none that I could find. i have them set up in a 30 gallon aquarium to start which i put black paper on the outside to prevent pacing back and fourth. I also have the heat lamp and night lamp set up on timers and the enclosures stays around 75-85 humidity level and the heat is around 90 degrees. There is a nice humid hiding spot under a half long that I filled with green moss. He has plenty of food and fresh water and lastly the substrate is a forest flood mulch.(I apologize if i wasn't really in order of the different things in the tank). Anyways my question and concern is, is it normal for them to sleep and not move a lot. I get very nervous when having the task of taking on a new animal. I've down all my research but of course that doesn't calm my nerves. So i wanted to hear directly from you guys fellow owners and see if this is truly baby redfoot behavior and if anyway had any starter tips for me and anything I could change to make sure young Fiji grows up happy and healthy.

Thanks again(theres a picture of fiji that i hope uploaded, he has an extra shell scute, but I love him just the same)

Attachments

• IMG_8358.JPG
    IMG_8358.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 41

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot babies always slept for 20 or so hours a day.
Make sure that the whole enclosure doesn't read 90 degrees. That could mean that there are areas even hotter and Redfoot don't like it very hot or very brightly lit.
I try for between 80 and 88 for temps. Any hotter and my adults all go into hiding until the sun goes down again.......Or it rains.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
They do sleep a lot or hide...even adults tend to hide a lot, not necessarily sleep but they like to hide away under bushes, shelters etc. and sometimes don't move for hours. Some are more active than others.

If he's active when you pick him up, soak him, feed him then he should be fine. Remember all baby animals like to sleep a lot, baby humans too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome ChrisColumbia20. Your little one seems like a lucky little guy!

I love this site and I am learning about tortoises too! I have always kept other reptiles - lizards, turtles, but never had a tortoise until recently I got 2 baby redfoots. They are doing great so far, thanks to this site!

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Welcome! First of all may I say Fiji is absolutely gorgeous :D When I first had Toby he slept most of the time too! I read somewhere that its a natural defence mechanism to hide when small as they are more likely to be picked off by predators as baby's? Some of the more experienced members may be able to say if that's true or not, I'm still learning. Toby is my first Tort and I absolutely adore him, he is becoming cheekier as he gets older so you have lots to look forward too! :tort: