Species Identification

Totman

Location (City and/or State)
Doha
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum.

I got this beautiful girl one year ago, her shell was 3" when I got her. Unfortunately, the store I got her from didn't know what species she was. I want to buy another tortoise for her so she doesn't have to be alone, I've been told against keeping different species so I don't want to make any mistakes that can harm her.

IMG_20180630_190325.jpg A+ Gallery_66.jpg IMG_20190220_162549.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

TortoiseRacket

New York
Actually not a Hermann's tortoise. The Hermann's tortoise has two black stripes on its plastron.

This tortoise has random black spotting on it's plastron, which makes it a Testudo graeca (Greek tortoise).
Oops! I guess I saw the pattern on the carapace and thought it was a hermanns. Thanks for correcting me. I am always learning!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum.
I got this beautiful girl one year ago, her shell was 3" when I got her. Unfortunately, the store I got her from didn't know what species she was. I want to buy another tortoise for her so she doesn't have to be alone, I've been told against keeping different species so I don't want to make any mistakes that can harm her.

Hello and welcome.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Alone as the sole king or queen of their castle is their favorite way to be. Other tortoises are not seen as friends or companions. They are seen as competitors or combatants. Something to fight or drive away. They don't want other tortoises around.

If you want another tortoise, set it up in its own separate enclosure, but your tortoise doesn't want another tortoise around. :)

Totman

Doha
Thank you for being welcoming and kind!!

I understand, so I will wait few years before getting a new tortoise because she has taken 6ft of space already, another 6ft would be troubling :p

That's a cute ibera! I am still confused though I look at other greeks and they all look the same in one way or another.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thank you for being welcoming and kind!!

I understand, so I will wait few years before getting a new tortoise because she has taken 6ft of space already, another 6ft would be troubling [emoji14]

That's a cute ibera! I am still confused though I look at other greeks and they all look the same in one way or another.
There are actually numerous subspecies and locales of Greeks:

Testudo graeca ibera (Northern Turkey, Ankara Turkey, Southern Turkey, Dalaman Coast, East Anatolian). Testudo graeca terrestris (Jordan, Syria, Gaza, Lebanon).
Testudo graeca marokkensis (Northern Moroccan). Testudo graeca soussensis (Southern Moroccan). Testudo graeca nabeulensis (Tunisia).
Testudo graeca cyrenaica (Libya).
Testudo graeca graeca (Moorish/North Africa).
Testudo graeca anamurensis (Anamur).
Testudo graeca buxtoni (Buxton/Zagros Mountain, Caspian Sea).
Testudo graeca graeca/whitei (Algeria).
Testudo graeca zarudnyi (Iran, Azerbaijan) *(incredibly rare).
Testudo graeca armeniaca (Armenia).
Testudo graeca graeca/sarda (Sardinia).
...to name a few [emoji4]

Granted the different locales of the same subspecies do have similarities, but each subspecies looks completely different from the others.

You can learn more about them on my website www.sweetgreektorts.com, or Chris' website www.hermannihaven.com

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks like your Tortoise is a male. Of course I could be wrong.

GordonP

5 Year Member
I have a 40 year old spur thighed mediteranean tortoise and she looks the same as yours.
You can tell the sex by looking underneath, females have a flat shell and males have a concave shell. It makes mating easier !
At first glance yours looks like a female.

Attachments

• 20140601_130022.jpg
    20140601_130022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32