Speedy's eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wirral,UK
Hiya everyone :) we have a horsefield tortoise named her(when we had her to the vet he said it was a she ,we actually thought it was a male lol)Speedy.
she has not eaten for 3 full days this is the 4th day and we are getting concerned,we alternate the food with romaine lettuce,TREX tortoise pellets,cucumber,dandelion leaves and head of dandelion and even peppers,apple,melon.We have her mostly indoors with a UV lamp and basking lamp,she has a substrate of tortoise soil and alfalfa straw which we cut smaller for her ,she has an outside enclosure well she has 2 now coz other day she escaped grrrr lol ,wondering could the stress of getting soo cold be the reason she isnt eating? She ate fine the following day ,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
You will want to get rid of the pellets and dont feed her peppers, apples, or melons, and feed her cucumber only about once a month if that (only a treat). How long have you had Speedy? A lot of times if you just get them they wont eat for sometimes up to two weeks, they just have to get used to their new home.

Tyler

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Caz said:
Hiya everyone :) we have a horsefield tortoise named her(when we had her to the vet he said it was a she ,we actually thought it was a male lol)Speedy.
she has not eaten for 3 full days this is the 4th day and we are getting concerned,we alternate the food with romaine lettuce,TREX tortoise pellets,cucumber,dandelion leaves and head of dandelion and even peppers,apple,melon.We have her mostly indoors with a UV lamp and basking lamp,she has a substrate of tortoise soil and alfalfa straw which we cut smaller for her ,she has an outside enclosure well she has 2 now coz other day she escaped grrrr lol ,wondering could the stress of getting soo cold be the reason she isnt eating? She ate fine the following day ,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Yep get rid of the peppers,pellets and apple even the melon, to much sugar, the apple and cucumber have an ingredient in them that prevents calcium being absorbed. It's ok for every now and then as a treat but not a main diet.

What are her temps and humidity?
I would get rid of the straw also it could cause respiratory problems.

Normally when a reptile stops eating it could be due to a new habitat, new tort, and you need to make sure that the husbandry is correct,

When all this has been checked to be perfect then you look at a health problem.

90% of reptiles that come to me for not eating are because something in their husbandry isn't right.

A guy bought a snake of me that was eating and shedding perfect.
He has had it for 3 weeks and he is not eating.
I sent him away with questions to answer about the husbandry, temps hum,etc etc
When he came back with the list, the snake was not getting UV, once he installed it the snake ate after area days of installing it,

Caz

5 Year Member
Wirral,UK
Hiya thanks for the replies,we have had her since last November,we recently took her to the vet and he said she was very healthy which was great :D since i messaged earlier we have had her in the garden and she has eaten clover and a dandelion head lol I will try to put a photo of her on later so you can see her ,she is very cute and the great escapist hahaha.Soo food wise its stuff from the garden, romaine lettuce, we also have given her rocket ,what do you suggest for everyday please? Thank you again for your replies :)

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
She can eat most weeds in the garden as long as no pesticides or fertilizers have been used.
Would love to see pics of her....

Status
Not open for further replies.