Sphangum Moss Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
I just read that the Sphangum Moss I've been using for the past two days in my new enclosure can cause deadly fungus! Is this true? Should I get rid of it right away?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I've asked this question a couple of times as it concerns me greatly. No one else seems to either acknowledge the risk or if they do, don't seem too concerned. I originally asked because I experienced some symptoms that worry me. I have yet to get it checked out though.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I believe that it is true... I am an orchid grower, and I NEVER handle Sphangum moss without gloves. I will try to locate the information that I received from my orchid society. I was going to mention this, but I never got around to it. I was under the impression that those who handled the SM knew about it and that it may not bother the tortoises. Thanks for reminding me.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It doesn't bother the tortoises. But no one is concerned enough about the health risks to people to worry about it. I've brought it up more than once because as I said, I have had a couple of suspicious symptoms.

KubokShin

5 Year Member
I don't know what it will do to tortoises but sphagnum moss is acidic and has been known to be used during wars in the olden day to stop bleeding. It's also a good plants fertilizer, so I'm guess it'll be O.K to use with your tortoises. I would suggest not to keep it too damp because moisture can lead to fungus, and it also will make the tortoise sick.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
Ugh!! Wish I would've known this before hand. Just got a bunch if it and used it in my older Russian torts table and my new baby greeks enclosure. In my Greeks I dampen it by misting very frequently. So more info would be greatly appreciated.

expo tort

5 Year Member
My tortoise quite readily eats his SM and I see no problems. Except he does like to eat it more then his other food.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It is not a problem for your tortoises. It could be a problem for YOU.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If you google it, you'll find info on it. Look up sporotrichosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.