Spider problems and tortoise safety

BennysMom

Location (City and/or State)
FL
We had our exterminator stop spraying our back yard before we got our Sulcata tortoise. We live in AZ and are now starting to see lots of spiders in our backyard (brown recluse, black widows, wolf spiders, etc) we have killed several. I have a 3 yr old who loves playing in the backyard and we need to ensure he is also safe since Some of the spiders we have found are harmless but some are not. Is there anything that is safe to use around tortoises that will take care of this problem?

Side note: also having a gopher problem so props if you can give me safe advice for both of these.

Sploogd

Georgia
Is there any way you can quarantine your tort for the time being? I don’t know much about Sulcata tortoises except that they are huge. Maybe you can put him in your front yard in like a puppy pen type thing until the guy is done spraying. Hope you find out soon! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, couldn't live with those spiders, yikes.
Not sure if Food Grade diatomaceous earth will work or not?
Maybe @Neal who lives in AZ can help.

BennysMom

FL
Is there any way you can quarantine your tort for the time being? I don’t know much about Sulcata tortoises except that they are huge. Maybe you can put him in your front yard in like a puppy pen type thing until the guy is done spraying. Hope you find out soon! :)
Unfortunately not an option as my front yard is not fenced in at all ? my guy is about 5-6yrs old we aren’t totally sure.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, I live in the PNW with exactly those spiders but without a child. I make part of my Sulcata pens using cinder block and they become a nursery and maternity ward for the biggest and uglyist spiders. But again, no kids. I've noticed inside the block they live and thrive...not to ever bother me or any tortoise. no spider bites on them, but they've startled me a time or two. It's the Wolf spiders that I see the most. Raid wasp spray kills Black widows

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spiders are not prone to live in places that have a lot of activity. Just keep sweeping away the webs and eventually they'll move to a less inhabited area. You can even vacuum them, web, spider and all. Human intervention works as well as chemicals.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've struggled with this a lot. Ground cover plants and borders in and around tortoise pens usually end up being a playground for bugs. Mostly crickets, which bring the more unwanted scorpions and spiders. I also have young children that use the backyard a lot and I want to keep them safe. There is risk of causing harm to tortoises with using pest poison around them, but there is also risk that pests could cause harm to tortoises or humans if their populations are not controlled. I've tried a bunch of "home-made" types of pest control, such as diatomaceous earth and pet safe pest poison, but those have all been ineffective for me. I have always had regular professional pest control treatments at my homes. It takes a bit more effort when you have tortoises. I am always present when my yard is treated. Its usually the same person who knows the routine, but I make sure they do not spray or bait near the tortoise enclosures.

Do you have a designated area for your tortoise, or does he have free range of the backyard?

The best thing you can do is make sure your tortoise has a designated enclosure away from where your kids might play, with a bit of a buffer zone between the two areas. General pest mitigation efforts work well...I try to minimize places where bugs are attracted to in and out of the tortoise pens. I keep vegetation from becoming overgrowing (I'm sure the tortoises would prefer I did not do this). Stones and water dishes are placed at ground level, with every effort to minimize access to underneath these areas. Toys and other loose things are put away as often as possible so that bugs don't try to make a home underneath them. I don't have plants growing against the house or near where the children play.