spiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avarice29

5 Year Member
I don't know how to explain this really but... I have kind of a spider problem. I don't know if its serious it not but I'm a bit worried it might cause some problems....
Where I keep my torts... I've noticed a few spiders....
I usually capture them in a small glass and move them to the front yard... But I'm worried the spiders might harm mg torts.
I guess I'm asking...
Are spiders harmful to torts? I don't think they're poisonous...
Is there any natural repellent to ward off spiders?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I have some spiders outside making some webs. They don't seem to bother the tortoise, I just left them alone (mostly because I'm scared to touch them lol) .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raid Hot Shot is a good spider killer. But don't use it by the torts. I kill every spider I see, they scare the crap out of me. I don't know of anything natural, but mothballs do keep them away, if you could put them where the torts can't eat them.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have a pretty bad black widow problem in my tort pens. I asked the same question as you awhile back, and everyone who responded said that they have never had any issues from spiders harming their tortoises. I still have plenty of black widows making webs in my tortoise pens, and I have never had an issue yet.

I'm not saying that there is no danger, because I honestly don't know, but they have never caused my tortoises any problems, and that seems to be the general concensus.

Avarice29

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your replies!
Yea... I didn't want to expose my torts to any chemicals...
Mothballs... Hmmm time to Google it xD

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Avarice29 said:
Thank you all for your replies!
Yea... I didn't want to expose my torts to any chemicals...
Mothballs... Hmmm time to Google it xD

My yard is also full of black widows. I personally never kill spiders. Or anything else for that matter except ants, Mosquitos, and ticks! My tortoise house has several black widows sharing her space. Spiders are shy and not at all as malevolent as many people think. I think your tortoise is safe ;-)

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Reno, Nevada
acrantophis said:
My yard is also full of black widows. I personally never kill spiders. Or anything else for that matter except ants, Mosquitos, and ticks! My tortoise house has several black widows sharing her space. Spiders are shy and not at all as malevolent as many people think. I think your tortoise is safe ;-)

The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read this one.......

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
We have a major orb weaver problem in my yard. I actually enjoy watching them, they are very interesting. They catch butterflies and moths that are five times their size but I can't see them ever catching a tortoise :)

The reason they keep showing up is probably because it's the same females every time. Only female spiders build the big, intricate webs, and they will almost always go back to the same place if they can find it, since it's where they've made their nest. With the orb weavers, usually in a nook or cranny close to the web they build every night, there is a little "burrow" that they've built (I don't know what to call it). If you destroy that, they are less likely to come back.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Because of the weather, there are suppose to be a lot more spiders this year then normal. I think your tortoise should be fine. Having the spiders may actually be a benefit at helping control other insects, that could cause more problems for your tortoise. Such as flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.