[split] Pyramiding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayleyBruce

5 Year Member
Hi sorry to hijack this thread no idea how to start my own! I have recently introduced a one year old sulcata into my home. I've read so much information on here about how to care for him and I'm pretty confident I've got it under control. I do however think my tort has some slight pyramiding. I'd like some opinions on how bad it is and some reassurance I can help to ensure his shell ends up as smooth a possible. I'd hate for him to become uncomfortable!

Many thanks

Hayley

Attachments

• image-3739184087.png
    image-3739184087.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 69

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Hayley:

There is a bit of pyramiding, but its not very bad. However, I do see a couple things that I would change, if it were my tortoise.

I would get rid of the sand substrate. Sand might cause impaction. Some people feel that if the tortoise is well-hydrated sand is not a problem, however, tortoises' stomachs are similar to those of horses, and no matter how much water the animal drinks, the sand goes to the bottom of the stomach and being heavy, it lays there and doesn't climb up and out of the "pipe" that carries it away.

I would bury the waterer so that the lip is even with the substrate, so the tortoise doesn't have to climb to get in.

I would offer a nice variety of different greens.

To start your own thread, you click on "forums" at the top of the page. Scroll down until you see the subject where you want your thread to appear...let's say "African Tortoises" (click on that), then "sulcata" when that screen appears, click on "new topic" towards the top, right of the screen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The threads in my signature are full of all sorts of baby sulcata info. (I kinda like them)
Click away and feel free to ask us anything you want to know.

HayleyBruce

5 Year Member
Thank you. I will bury the water bowl as suggested. I have ordered coconut coir for substrate and am only using sand til it's delivered in the next few days!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information to be found on enclosures, diets, health issues and just general behavior. Post lots pf pictures.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Make sure you read the threads that Tom has written about hatchling care and that should help with your pyramiding issues. I have my camera at the repair shop again, and will do my own question about my tort's shell. If you ever have any concerns, Tom is full of great info and is completely awesome. He is always willing to help us newbies out. :) Good luck and congratulations with your tort. It looks so cute:)! Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.