I need some sulcata advice

sulcatatw

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So a while back, about 4 years ago to be exact, I fell victim to all the misinformation there is about sulcatas and tortoises in general. I did my research, but it appears in all the wrong places.
Some things you should know:
This tortoise is now 4 years old and has some pyramiding, it's not the worst case of pyramiding ever but it's worrisome.
She's about 7 inches, which is small for her age but shes not completely stunted, I'd venture to say this last summer she grew about 30% or so.

She's very active, and good around people.

Upon recently realizing that I had been wrong all this time I feel horrible about how I unknowingly treated this animal. Until recently I was under the impression that humidity was actually bad for them, I feel like a horrible person and an idiot, but what I'm mainly here to ask is: Is there any hope? I've adjusted this tortoise's habitat according to what i've seen on these forums, it's now much more humid, with a warm basking area and a cool hide. If I care properly for this tortoise with my new knowledge, will she be able to grow smoothly and live a normal life?

additional questions that I'm still not quiet sure of:

Diet: I've heard a LOT of conflicting information here. Many people say that they should eat dark, leafy greens such as romaine while others say they should eat primarily grass. Currently I've been feeding her Zoo med grassland tortoise food, but I know that they need a varied diet, so I'm not sure what else is safe to put in there, when and how much. Additionally I've heard some people saying they should have food available at all times, while others say that you should only feed them once a day to prevent overfeeding. So confusing!

Pyramiding: She does have some pyramiding. The scutes arent seperated, just risen, I would say the level is about as much as the middle tortoise in this image I found online. I know pyramiding doesnt reverse, but since she definitely has a lot more growing to do, with proper humidity, diet, and sunlight, will this stop and smooth a bit over time with the growth, or will it continue and end up like those horrible images that you see sometimes on the internet?

Finally, this is a bit down the road for when she's very big and lives outdoors, but it's something that's been in the back of my mind for a bit. Are their burrows a threat to the foundation of the house? How do you keep that under control?

Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Diet- your tortoise needs to be eating weeds and grasses, and grocery store foods, especially Romain, should rarely be fed. They lack the fiber that your tortoise needs.

Your tortoise should have food available at all times, and there is no such thing as over feeding with a growing tortoise.
Here’s a diet sheet- For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Pyramiding- if you spray her shell multiple times a day, make sure humidity is a constant 80+, and maybe even apply a product called “Shell saver” or organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil to the shell, it should start to smooth out as she grows.

In regards to burrows, an adult sulcata’s burrows can cause problems, but with a heated nightbox/shed, they usually don’t really burrow from what I’ve seen.

If you haven’t already, please give these a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

sulcatatw

Arizona
Welcome to the forum!
Diet- your tortoise needs to be eating weeds and grasses, and grocery store foods, especially Romain, should rarely be fed. They lack the fiber that your tortoise needs.

Your tortoise should have food available at all times, and there is no such thing as over feeding with a growing tortoise.
Here’s a diet sheet- For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Pyramiding- if you spray her shell multiple times a day, make sure humidity is a constant 80+, and maybe even apply a product called “Shell saver” or organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil to the shell, it should start to smooth out as she grows.

In regards to burrows, an adult sulcata’s burrows can cause problems, but with a heated nightbox/shed, they usually don’t really burrow from what I’ve seen.

If you haven’t already, please give these a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Thank you for such a quick response! So is the grassland tortoise food not ok? Additionally, are grasses and weeds from outside what you mean by grasses and weeds? (of course with no pesticides etc) or do you mean like timothy hay, which is what I've seen a lot of people here like to give their sullies.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi! I have some of the grassland pellets and I use them as a supplement once a week.. I keep a box of “yard food” and spring mix in the fridge. I cut grass, weeds, approved plants that are growing in my pasture weekly for the yard food. I use cactus pads too. And I mix in mazuri, and flukers tortoise as well. I feed them something different everyday .

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you for such a quick response! So is the grassland tortoise food not ok? Additionally, are grasses and weeds from outside what you mean by grasses and weeds? (of course with no pesticides etc) or do you mean like timothy hay, which is what I've seen a lot of people here like to give their sullies.

Grassland tortoise food is okay to feed, just be sure you’re feeding it with a verity of greens. And yes, weeds and grasses from outside.

You can also start giving your tortoise hay, but I would use orchard hay instead of Timothy.

SULCY

NEW YORK
If you have a problem getting grass Tractor Supply sells orchard grass pellets and they have no additives. Just soak and feed. Fresh grass is the best but during the winter mine get a lot of the pellets.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So a while back, about 4 years ago to be exact, I fell victim to all the misinformation there is about sulcatas and tortoises in general. I did my research, but it appears in all the wrong places.
Some things you should know:
This tortoise is now 4 years old and has some pyramiding, it's not the worst case of pyramiding ever but it's worrisome.
She's about 7 inches, which is small for her age but shes not completely stunted, I'd venture to say this last summer she grew about 30% or so.

She's very active, and good around people.

Upon recently realizing that I had been wrong all this time I feel horrible about how I unknowingly treated this animal. Until recently I was under the impression that humidity was actually bad for them, I feel like a horrible person and an idiot, but what I'm mainly here to ask is: Is there any hope? I've adjusted this tortoise's habitat according to what i've seen on these forums, it's now much more humid, with a warm basking area and a cool hide. If I care properly for this tortoise with my new knowledge, will she be able to grow smoothly and live a normal life?

additional questions that I'm still not quiet sure of:

Diet: I've heard a LOT of conflicting information here. Many people say that they should eat dark, leafy greens such as romaine while others say they should eat primarily grass. Currently I've been feeding her Zoo med grassland tortoise food, but I know that they need a varied diet, so I'm not sure what else is safe to put in there, when and how much. Additionally I've heard some people saying they should have food available at all times, while others say that you should only feed them once a day to prevent overfeeding. So confusing!

Pyramiding: She does have some pyramiding. The scutes arent seperated, just risen, I would say the level is about as much as the middle tortoise in this image I found online. I know pyramiding doesnt reverse, but since she definitely has a lot more growing to do, with proper humidity, diet, and sunlight, will this stop and smooth a bit over time with the growth, or will it continue and end up like those horrible images that you see sometimes on the internet?

Finally, this is a bit down the road for when she's very big and lives outdoors, but it's something that's been in the back of my mind for a bit. Are their burrows a threat to the foundation of the house? How do you keep that under control?

Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks!
Absolutely! Charlie started a burrow in a little side yard we had. It went under the patio for about 6 feet or more. Then at some point, he decided to turn it towards our house. It was under our bedroom when we realized our house was at risk. We had to hire a contractor to dig up the patio and fill in the hole.

It is a good idea to get your tortoise to like grass and weeds. That should make up the bulk of his diet, and once you move him outside fulltime, your tortoise can graze all day long to get the nourishment and exercise he needs. Older tortoises can eat hay if you can't grow enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe @Tom had a stunted sulcata, but once he learned the correct husbandry, the tortoise started to grow.