Spots on Shell

RobinH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My Greek yearling has recently started getting little white spots on his shell. There are quite a lot of them lined up near his newest growth ring. He also has them dotted over his plastron. Is this the beginning of shell rot or a fungus? It isn't soft or smelly and he's behaving and eating normally.
He's been inside all winter in a 6'x2' open table. He has a coir/topsoil substrate. The cool side is around 70' with a basking area between 95-100' . He has a hot humid hide that he spends a lot of time in. He came to me with some pyramiding, but his new growth is smooth. Tonight I cleaned out his substrate and swabbed him with a diluted Betadine solution. Anything else I should be doing??

IMG_5816.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I uses anti fungal cream on my box turtle who has a small spot of shell rot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it does look like some sort of fungus starting to grow. Maybe you're keeping the enclosure too humid? You can buy the anti fungal cream at the pharmacy.

RobinH

5 Year Member
Texas
OK, I can pick some up tonight. What active ingredient is best? Butenafine Hydrochloride, Terbinafine Hydrochloride, Tolnaftate or Clotrimazole are some of the meds I'm seeing in the basic over the counter creams. Or should I be looking for something else?

RobinH

5 Year Member
Texas
Nevermind. I read the Shell Fungus 101 post and it said to use Clotrimazole cream.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Learn something new again. But have you figure out what caused??? So this will not happen again? What humidity you have in your enclosure??

RobinH

5 Year Member
Texas
He's been spending a LOT of time in the hot humid hide over the winter, so I'm assuming it's from that. The rest of the table is open, so not very humid at all. I cleaned out the substrate in there yesterday. It's getting warmer now so he's more active and will be getting loads of natural sunlight.