Spotted Turtle Breeding group

SeverusBites

Location (City and/or State)
KS
Hello,

I'd like to assemble a spotted turtle breeding group, if you have any for sale or know where to ask, please let me know.

Thank you, -Brian

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Black Spotted, and thanks for replying!

"Black Splotted" and "Indian Splotted" are common names for the same species, Geoclemys hamiltonii, and are often called by the full-blown common name of "Indian black splotted pond turtle." This is also an ESA listed species, meaning that you'd need to buy within your state or have a valid CBW permit.

I assume this post is about the North American spotted turtle, Cemmys guttata. The laws vary state by state for this species, so you'd want to double check. My sense is that Kansas doesn't have such laws because it's outside their range.

SeverusBites

KS
Hi everyone,

I've struck out with every source I can find. I was hoping to find a hobbyist breeder here, but that hasn't worked out, so I surveyed the various online vendors that purport to have these animals.

As has been my experience before, a handful of places advertise these turtles as "in stock" but if you try to buy them, you quickly find out they don't have any. There was one outfit that seemed to have one adult spotted turtle, but they wanted nearly $400 for a turtle that for some reason hasn't sold. I'm wary.

I just had hoped to get some this year, and am frustrated by the lack of available options. I suspect that there is a brief period when hatchlings emerge and the sites have stock, but then quickly sell out.

Does anyone have an idea of how to buy one (or more) of these or know of any place to look?

Thanks!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello- can you hook me up or point me to the vendor for the $250 spotteds?

Thanks!
Are these what you want? If so, you want Clemmys guttata, the North American Spotted Turtle:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are these what you want? If so, you want Clemmys guttata, the North American Spotted Turtle:

Ya message bill scialdone on Facebook he is the one selling Them
I would be very cautious buying those as pictured there. They very much look like wild-caught spotted turtles. You can usually tell quite easily by the way a wild spotted turtle shell looks. The male pictured is a very young sub-adult male. The plaston has damage visible. Wild caught have a much harder time adjusting to captivity and there is be a high mortality rate that comes with that adjustment. Let alone - illegal!

SeverusBites

KS

Thanks for the link. That guy wants $450 each. I will keep it in mind.

SeverusBites

KS
I would be very cautious buying those as pictured there. They very much look like wild-caught spotted turtles. You can usually tell quite easily by the way a wild spotted turtle shell looks. The male pictured is a very young sub-adult male. The plaston has damage visible. Wild caught have a much harder time adjusting to captivity and there is be a high mortality rate that comes with that adjustment. Let alone - illegal!
Yes, a little questionable, and very high pricing. I'll keep looking.

SeverusBites

KS
OK, so here is an example of the shady vibe I get from most web reptile vendors-

There is a vendor with a site titled "Tortoise World" that says they have spotted turtles, in fact they list several different prices but this one ad in particular advertises them for $299:
1651460673657.png

If you scroll down you can see the ad copy mentioning "snakes at sunset" and shipping terms:

1651460747015.png

Since I have been combing through ads, that copy looked familiar. Here it is again, from the site called Snakes at sunset, so probably the real source:
1651460912931.png

Same pic, same ad copy, lesser price.

So it looks like that Tortoise World place is some sort of rip-off site. Very strange to have the exact same pics and writing. Their shopping cart behaves as if they have some in stock, but I expect it's very unlikely they have anything or are worth trusting.

Doe anybody have any experience ordering from either site?

With it being May now, it shouldn't be too long until broods start to hatch- maybe my luck will improve.

SeverusBites

KS
Wow, it goes deeper- I looked at the "other" spotted turtle ad from the tortoise site and noticed a unique phrase "With a Biologist ON SITE, all of our spotted turtles for sale online come with our live arrival and full 7-day health guarantee."
1651461511180.png

Ok, that was probably lifted as well so searching that phrase got me not one, but TWO other sites with almost exactly that phrase:

1651461757156.png

And here it is again:

1651461830928.png

Those last few aren't exactly the same phrase as the top ones are but still seems like all these sites rip each other off and copy each other's lies.

So weird.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Wow, it goes deeper- I looked at the "other" spotted turtle ad from the tortoise site and noticed a unique phrase "With a Biologist ON SITE, all of our spotted turtles for sale online come with our live arrival and full 7-day health guarantee."
View attachment 344068

Ok, that was probably lifted as well so searching that phrase got me not one, but TWO other sites with almost exactly that phrase:

View attachment 344069

And here it is again:

View attachment 344070

Those last few aren't exactly the same phrase as the top ones are but still seems like all these sites rip each other off and copy each other's lies.

So weird.
Those sites are most likely owned by the same guy (from NJ I think) who seems only to be in it for the $$. I have seen several bad reviews of those businesses.

He advertises to buy animals under one site name and sells them under another. Most people don't seem to see through it. It's hard to say if he really breeds any turtles/tortoises himself or just flips ones he gets from breeders who can't sell them or just don't want to deal with sales to the public so sell their babies wholesale to dealers like this person.