Spur thigh (now called sulcata)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Blakes exotic animal ranch repeatedly refers to the sulcata as an african spur thigh. Ive read about the african spurred tortoise but after watching the youtube video. Your subliminal cant help to get confused.

The info and tortoise care in youtube can be so misleading
Many people do. This is the trouble with common names. There are regional differences and it can get confusing. This is why scientific names are best to use. In this case, most people understand what a "sulcata" is, but "spur thigh" is often confused between greek tortoises, Testudo graeca, and sulcatas.

Know what is even more confusing? "Greek" tortoises don't occur in Greece, but Marginated tortoises do. I think possibly hermanni as well...

Trickbill985

Madisonville, La
If the diet is varied you shouldn't need to give calcium. If you give calcium I wouldn't do more than twice a week and multivitamins I would alternate. Just be careful with the calcium and don't give too much. I would just leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure and not worry about calcium.

Ok thank you. What about thoughts on heat bulbs...... I have a mvb temporarily until a new U-verse bulb an fixture comes in It a 160 watt an it only gets right around 80. I kno Tom was talking about floodlights. Do they get

drew54

Indiana
Maybe a couple floodlights?

He uses 65w food lights. I tried using one but it wasn't getting hot enough in my enclosure, so I up the bulb. If the 150w is only reaching a max of 80, if I understood correctly, then it may be too high up. You could try lowering it. With a 65w you would most likely have to adjust the height of it also to get desired temp. Basking needs to be 95-100. And with basking bulbs you need t be careful about the bulb being too low. If it's the ambient temp you're talking about I would use a thermostat with a Che or a rho to keep ambient temps 80-85 at all times. Tom is a great resource as well as others on this forum.

drew54

Indiana
Rhp forgive me if I misunderstood I'm currently working and checking my alerts when I can

Trickbill985

Madisonville, La
Maybe a couple floodlights?
He uses 65w food lights. I tried using one but it wasn't getting hot enough in my enclosure, so I up the bulb. If the 150w is only reaching a max of 80, if I understood correctly, then it may be too high up. You could try lowering it. With a 65w you would most likely have to adjust the height of it also to get desired temp. Basking needs to be 95-100. And with basking bulbs you need t be careful about the bulb being too low. If it's the ambient temp you're talking about I would use a thermostat with a Che or a rho to keep ambient temps 80-85 at all times. Tom is a great resource as well as others on this forum.

Not sure how I could lower the light