Squeaking Leopard Tortoises?

dawsonpan

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hey everyone! About a day ago we adopted two leopard tortoises, we were told they're both around 3-4 years old. And just today we heard one of them making squeaking noises, squeaking or whistling noises. I read up on the possible causes and I'm still not sure because there seems to be a lot of debate on whether it's normal or due to a respiratory infection. So does anyone know if this is normal or should I be concerned? They're both very healthy-looking, active, have good weight, and nibbling here and there already. I added a few pictures below. :) The bigger one seems to be the one making the noises. Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• Leopard Tortoise (Smoky).jpeg
    Leopard Tortoise (Smoky).jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Enclosure.jpeg
    Enclosure.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not normal and yes you should be concerned. You need to warm the temps up. Keep it 85-90 24/7 for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear, and then don't let them drop below 80 day or night after that. They need a basking area of 100 degrees for 12-13 hours of every day.

Winter is not the time to move them outside, even when they are big enough to move outside full time. Do you have a heated night box set to 80-85 degrees for them?

Yours look too small to be living outside full time yet, and they should never live in pairs. This is very stressful on both of them and could be contributing to the hampered immune system along with cold temps and the stress of moving.

dawsonpan

CA
Oh yikes, I'll definitely be sure to monitor their condition and do what you said. So they are inside at night with a heat lamp at around 90 degrees and they do have access to a heat lamp at all times. They go out in an enclosure during the day to bask in the sun since it's pretty warm during the day outside. I'll split the enclosure in half to keep them apart then. Thanks for the advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yikes, I'll definitely be sure to monitor their condition and do what you said. So they are inside at night with a heat lamp at around 90 degrees and they do have access to a heat lamp at all times. They go out in an enclosure during the day to bask in the sun since it's pretty warm during the day outside. I'll split the enclosure in half to keep them apart then. Thanks for the advice!
It needs to be dark at night, but still warm.

Lots of care info here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

dawsonpan

CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Ceramic Heat Emitter is long lasting and dependable when mounted in the correct fixture. You want to be sure to use a ceramic base rated to accept the wattage of your CHE.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh ok, I'll change the heating bulb to one of those ceramic ones then. Is that what you would recommend? Because I have a few on reserve but I decided not to use those because they seem to always explode so I used the red ones.
Read that thread I linked. All the heating and lighting info is explained in detail.

dawsonpan

CA
I forgot to include their measurements. So the larger one who is making the sounds is around 5-6 or so inches. The other is 4-5 inches or so. And I separated both of them just to be safe in case one is sick and the other isn't.