Squeaks????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
One of the torts, i took over, squeaks, just like a small dog toy when you squeeze it. I am wondering if i should take him to the vet monday morning for this reason, i cant find it anywhere that they squeaks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Ummm when you squeeze it? :D Sorry I am showing my age, but reading that reminded me of an old Charmin TP ad, where Mr Whipple told the lady, "Don't squeeze the Charmin!". Why were you squeezing him?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say all you did was pick him up, correct? Did he then pull back quickly into his shell and "squeak"? That's a normal sound. Torts do make noises with the two most common being with illness or breeding.

I would just watch him and if he is eating, active, not showing a discharge, then no reason yet for a vet trip. A vet trip might relieve your mind however and a good tort vet could look him over for obvious problems. Best thing if you do go to the vet, is to also have a fecal check done on them.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Ummm when you squeeze it? :D Sorry I am showing my age, but reading that reminded me of an old Charmin TP ad, where Mr Whipple told the lady, "Don't squeeze the Charmin!". Why were you squeezing him?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say all you did was pick him up, correct? Did he then pull back quickly into his shell and "squeak"? That's a normal sound. Torts do make noises with the two most common being with illness or breeding.

I would just watch him and if he is eating, active, not showing a discharge, then no reason yet for a vet trip. A vet trip might relieve your mind however and a good tort vet could look him over for obvious problems. Best thing if you do go to the vet, is to also have a fecal check done on them.

No, when i pick them up they really don't pull into their shell at all, when i wiggle my finger or make noise in their cage they come running.
They just a a fecal check done, she did that before i got them, i have the paper work on them too. No discharge at all, eyes clear and very active, and they eat like pigs. I soaked them today and all were pooping great
I do hear the hissing sound when they pull back fast, but each time one of them squeaks, it is the loud sound of a small dog toy that squeaks. It isn't a soft one its kind of loud squeak. Now they are both males, the same age 4 years old. One is bigger then the other, and the smaller ones hib each winter and the bigger one didn't. This time when i went in there to see why its squeaking i noticed the big one on top of the smaller one, so i will watch that too and see whats up with that, maybe that is why it is making that noise?
Like it said its kind of loud. and it sounds just like a dog squeak toy. Some times just once but sometimes it can squeak up to 5 times in a row.
Just confusing

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
kallista said:
kallista said:
Jacqui said:

I said:
Squeaks????

One of the torts, i took over, squeaks, just like a small dog toy when you squeeze it. I am wondering if i should take him to the vet monday morning for this reason, i cant find it anywhere that they squeaks.

meaning......its sounds like a dog squeak toy when you squeeze it, the toy not the turtle lol
wow
who would be squeezing a turtle?

No, when i pick them up they really don't pull into their shell at all, when i wiggle my finger or make noise in their cage they come running.
They just a a fecal check done, she did that before i got them, i have the paper work on them too. No discharge at all, eyes clear and very active, and they eat like pigs. I soaked them today and all were pooping great
I do hear the hissing sound when they pull back fast, but each time one of them squeaks, it is the loud sound of a small dog toy that squeaks. It isn't a soft one its kind of loud squeak. Now they are both males, the same age 4 years old. One is bigger then the other, and the smaller ones hib each winter and the bigger one didn't. This time when i went in there to see why its squeaking i noticed the big one on top of the smaller one, so i will watch that too and see whats up with that, maybe that is why it is making that noise?
Like it said its kind of loud. and it sounds just like a dog squeak toy. Some times just once but sometimes it can squeak up to 5 times in a row.
Just confusing

I think that the one thinks its mating, again it was on top almost standing behind the other making the squeaking sounds. both have hooked tails both are male for sure.
here is something i found on the internet..
........................................................................................
My large male has been displaying to my small female (who is likely
not reproductively mature) for almost a month now, and this morning I
heard these weird squeaks which I can only guess is the noise they
make when they're attempting to mate.
.............................................................................................
So as you can see i am not the only one with a squeaking Russian torts. I think he thinks hes mating.. and now he is making that squeaking all the time. maybe time to split them both up for a bit?

I am now almost positive its a mating sound..

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What you describing, especially along with the position in relationship to the other tort, does sound like mating. Just because your other tort is a male, won't stop the attempts. Males will also try breeding non-tortoise things, even things not alive. (Last year my Bell's Hingeback was breeding his log hide. Good thing is, normally this behavior only usually last a few weeks, then slows down. Having lots of hides, visual barriers, and room will help the little one escape some of the attention. You might want to leave them together for now, but watch closely. If the bigger one becomes too aggressive or the little one seems stressed, then immediately separate them.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
What you describing, especially along with the position in relationship to the other tort, does sound like mating. Just because your other tort is a male, won't stop the attempts. Males will also try breeding non-tortoise things, even things not alive. (Last year my Bell's Hingeback was breeding his log hide. Good thing is, normally this behavior only usually last a few weeks, then slows down. Having lots of hides, visual barriers, and room will help the little one escape some of the attention. You might want to leave them together for now, but watch closely. If the bigger one becomes too aggressive or the little one seems stressed, then immediately separate them.

Ok got ya.. yeah the little one is the one whos trying to mate with the bigger one lol..
thank you for all your help

Torties

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Make sure that you keep an eye on your males while they are in their mating season. I have two males that are now separated because our bigger male continuously bites and stresses out our smaller male.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Torties said:
Make sure that you keep an eye on your males while they are in their mating season. I have two males that are now separated because our bigger male continuously bites and stresses out our smaller male.

yes i will.. its that time of year lol

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
May seem like a silly question, but are you sure you have two males? Especially with you clarifying that it's the small one going after the bigger one. Females tend to be larger then the males.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
May seem like a silly question, but are you sure you have two males? Especially with you clarifying that it's the small one going after the bigger one. Females tend to be larger then the males.
Yes, as i said in 2 diff posts, here.. they both have long hooked tails
therefore both are males lol
but thanks

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
kallista said:
Jacqui said:
Yes, as i said in 2 diff posts, here.. they both have long hooked tails
therefore both are males lol
but thanks
EDITED TO SAY:
I re read this and it sounded rude, please don't think i meant it rude i didn't, so don't take it that way..OK? good.. thankies

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D No, it did not sound rude. I only brought it up in the first place because of how often folks think they have a male, only to discover it's actually a female...and vice versa. Even experienced folks get fooled at times. :D You learn to try to cover all possible bases, when giving advice, opinions, and thoughts. ;)

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:D No, it did not sound rude. I only brought it up in the first place because of how often folks think they have a male, only to discover it's actually a female...and vice versa. Even experienced folks get fooled at times. :D You learn to try to cover all possible bases, when giving advice, opinions, and thoughts. ;)

I agree..
I was born and lived in Germany, then we move to Scotland. German is my first lang then Gaelic, so at times, i try to get to the point and it comes out weird. I speak great English but the way i put it to paper is weird at times too. lol.. Theres so many meanings for one word here.. lol
I been here for awhile too. but i go back 2 times a year for 1 month, and speak Gaelic again.

Status
Not open for further replies.