Squirt is home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
So Squirt is home :)
I'm not going into why she's home this early (she was due here Sunday) but i've basically had no choice.

So this is her temporary living accommodation.

301912_10150310748875101_723655100_8030627_7362070_n.jpg

She has the UV and heat bulb. It's 160W because it was bought for the rather large table we are building for her (4ft by 3ft estimate)
The other lamp is a heat emitter for night, 60W bulb in that, for night times.

She has a proper water tray with ramp for her table. Plus peat for substrate. (But its too big for this box so she has a little tub in there. And the substrate was just cheap stuff that she was on in the shop!)

Oh and i have a piece of slate tile for her to eat off - as i read that was the best thing? If not i can go get a food bowl.

Is there anything I need to drastically change for her till sunday when she'll be on the proper table with everything set up properly?

The thermometer says the temp is averaging about 24 - 26C (77 - 80F) from what i've read thats a fairly good temp. Of course the hidden bit is a tad cooler.
The humidity reader is in the middle. I don't know if thats good or bad? I'm still figuring that one out! :p

I'm also a bit worried about a few marks on her shell. I'll get some photos tonight when I get her out and soak her and you can tell me what you think, I think a few bits are just dirt.

I can hear her moving around now.
eep, exciting.

I shall post some pictures later :) I just want to make sure I've done the best I can till her table is ready on Sunday.
I know it's not ideal but its the best I can do! I'm a bit angry about not having everything perfect, makes me feel like a rubbish tortoise owner.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
She's making so much noise in her home. My dogs are confused - they haven't even figured out that the noise is coming from the box in the corner of the room! :p
I think she's trying to hide herself in the corner under the hide area. She seems very shy bless her.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not sure what you house temperatures are this time of year, but she might not even need any heat right now. Plus if your taking her outside, then you wouldn't need to worry about the UV either. Be sure your lights can't fall down. Especially with a box like that, it scares me (worry wart here :p).

Also have you been told or read about dogs and tortoises? They don't mix very well. There is just something about the shell that some day, some time suddenly becomes irresistible to most dogs, even ones raised with the tortoise. :( So keep that always in mind. No matter how docile your dogs may be, never ever leave them where they can get unsupervised in with your tortoise.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
She's staying inside. Won't be outside till the hot days arrive next summer now. My room is quite cool too so i think it'd be too cold for her.
Don't worry I've got the UV/heat lamp attached to my drawers not the box so that can't fall down and then the other one is fairly light. Am keeping an eye on it all :) They'll be completely attached to her table this sunday with the screw fixings, hopefully.

Yea. I'm not planning on letting my dogs anywhere near her.
My dog, Pudding, was on my bed sleeping when she started moving around. So he got all confused wondering where the hell that noise was coming from :p
I'm very careful about dogs and other animals anyway. I'm even careful with them around the horses! So they won't be going near Squirt except for when they are with me on the bed and she's in her table.
The table will also be on table legs so they won't be able to get near her then even if they wanted too. :)

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Jacqui said:
Okay was just being sure.

Yea. I understand :D Its nice that someone is checking that I know, it shows how much you care. Its nice to meet someone on a forum whos so nice and genuinely cares and is so helpful :D I'm so thankful for all the help i've got on here :D

It paniked me at first about the cardboard not holding the lights on. So i attached them last night and left them all night and day to be sure. Can't wait to get them attached to the table though.

The dogs always worried me but so far neithers even gone near the tortoise. I read so many horror stories about tortoises and dogs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just want to be thorough here. I'm alarmed by your statement that your temps are averaging 77-80. Not picking on you here, just making sure that you and your tort are on the right track.
There are four temps to be concerned with. Cool side, warm side, basking spot, and night. 77-80 is fine for your cool side and night on a baby leopard, but they need a basking spot to be able to warm up to around 100 during the day. I would never use a dry substrate like that, and I don't see any mention of a humid hide box. Tort tables are fine for torts that are older and don't need humidity, but if you keep that baby leopard dry all the time he WILL pyramid. This is another reason I recommend against tortoise tables for babies. They are just too dry. There is no way to hold in any humidity with a wide open top like that.

Here is a care sheet that I originally wrote for sulcatas. I house my leopards exactly the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1WppUCapQ

Here is a care sheet that Neal wrote specifically for leopards. Neal produces some very healthy and smooth leopard babies using this info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1WppUCapQ

I hope this info helps. I wish you and Squirt many happy years together.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Thank you for that. I shall get her a humid hide like that for her table. I didn't know about them.
The thermometer is away from the heat lamp. So under the basking lamp it is a lot hotter. Then of course from there it is hotter till you get to her cool side. Currently I only have the one in there as I don't want to stick them on to her box till I get her proper home set up.
But I plan on having three thermometers in the cage (Cool, basking and hot areas) So I can keep an eye on the all round temps. :)

For her table she has Peat for substrate, rather than this stuff. This is only temporary as i didn't want to waste her actual substrate when she's only in here for last night, today, tonight and then some of tomorrow.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is a great temporary enclosure that you put together on the fly. I can't wait to see Squirt's new home. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I too, am really looking forward to Squirts "real" home. You mentioned with the thermometers that your going to be sticking them. Instead of spending money on that type of thermometer which is normally not very accurate, you would be wiser to buy a temp gun. They aren't that much and are a blast to use. You will find yourself checking on all sorts of things. :D

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Jacqui said:
I too, am really looking forward to Squirts "real" home. You mentioned with the thermometers that your going to be sticking them. Instead of spending money on that type of thermometer which is normally not very accurate, you would be wiser to buy a temp gun. They aren't that much and are a blast to use. You will find yourself checking on all sorts of things. :D

I've never heard of them!
I shall do some research and get one ordered.
Think i'm going pet shop today to buy some bits and bobs, as well as garden shop to buy lots of seeds :D
So i shall see if they have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.