Standing water under substrate

P

pguinpro

Humidity in my house is usually 60ish so I mist 3-4 times daily to keep enclosure 80+ but today I dug down and there is about 3mm of standing water which means it's not evaporating quick enough and is instead sitting at the bottom. I switched to coconut coir as suggested and now I'm having this issue...not sure how to move forward suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Are you misting or dumping in water? I use cypress and spaghnum on the bottom. It’s wet on the bottom for sure but not like that. Do you mean millimeters and not centimeters?

P

pguinpro

Misting and I meant mm.
Are you misting or dumping in water? I use cypress and spaghnum on the bottom. It’s wet on the bottom for sure but not like that. Do you mean millimeters and not centimeters?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Misting and I meant mm.
Oh lol I was like three cm??? Wow lol. It should be wet underneath because that water and the heat are what create hiumidity. Do make sure your temps are warm enough but mines wet as well simply because it’s warmer overall now and things stay humid longer. Maybe mist less and only the sides instead of the substrate if you think it’s too wet.

P

pguinpro

Update, I purchased the lid that goes with tub and placed it underneath. The tub itself is now perforated so to speak after putting many holes in the bottom. Now the excess water seeps down and gets on lid where it then evaporates over time. I use the diaphragm pump 3-4 times daily so not much water.