star tortoise active?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I've had a star tort since last august 2010, She's a very lazy tort, sleeps all the time and rarely walks around. This behavior I heard is very normal for stars. Now I just got a new tort and he is very active. How do I know if his being active is a result of something other than him liking to walk around. He walks around a lot, He walks over and under anything in their pen. He topples over stuff. Their pen is made of wood so they cannot see outside. He sleeps but not as long as my older tort.

Is this somewhat normal tortoise behavior? I hope there's nothing wrong :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The new tortoise is probably looking for a way to escape. They are pretty territorial and he wants to get back to his old home.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Star torts are a relatively high stress tort, so maybe your's needs a bit of time to settle in.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
well it also depends on the age of your star tortoise also. any tortoise at a very young age sleeps i would say for most of the day around 16 hours. mine is usually active in the morning and when he hears me bring food in.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I don't know his/her age but he's 4.5 inches. He's active most of the day and comes to me when he sees me with their food. He walks around then bask under the heat, then walks again during the day but goes to sleep. How old are they before they are active?

I didn't know stars are territorial, I have several hides in their pen but they share the same hide at night.

Is there a way to tell if my tort is stressed out or just active?

Status
Not open for further replies.