indian star being hyper active

jason00

Hi, my star tortoise is about 7-8 inches long, a female. There has been no changes to her regular diet, only difference is that now is the rainy season. She usually bask in the sun, eats and hide in a corner with little activity and sleeps in a corner.
But these few days she is awake the whole day running around trying to climb everywhere and pushing everything around non stop. she poop all over the place very messy (usually just 1 pile in a spot) and she sleeps in the middle nowhere.
I have not seen this before. Is there any reason for her to be this active?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
I too am keen to know.

I have 2 of them, one slightly bigger than the other (can see in my pic). The smaller one is quieter, as in she will eat and get into a corner. The bigger one is more active. Walks around and stuff. I have been wondering if this is normal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I too am keen to know.

I have 2 of them, one slightly bigger than the other (can see in my pic). The smaller one is quieter, as in she will eat and get into a corner. The bigger one is more active. Walks around and stuff. I have been wondering if this is normal.
This could be the start of bullying by the more active one.
Bullying isn't always direct fighting - it could be very subtle just a look or following and perhaps the other is quieter and withdrawn because she is feeling harassed and stressed. If you do a search there are threads about the dangers of keeping pairs. I would separate asap! Torts are solitary creatures they do not need company. They are OK in groups if the gender mix is right - but not pairs.
If you separate them I bet you would see much happier, settled and healthier torts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, my star tortoise is about 7-8 inches long, a female. There has been no changes to her regular diet, only difference is that now is the rainy season. She usually bask in the sun, eats and hide in a corner with little activity and sleeps in a corner.
But these few days she is awake the whole day running around trying to climb everywhere and pushing everything around non stop. she poop all over the place very messy (usually just 1 pile in a spot) and she sleeps in the middle nowhere.
I have not seen this before. Is there any reason for her to be this active?
She sounds stressed! Is she the only tort you have and can you post pics of her enclosure so members can help you see if anything needs changing. Also what age is she and how long have you had her etc.? The more info you can provide the easier it will be for people to help you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I too am keen to know.

Your pic hasn't posted.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
The scaled down version is in my profile pic. But I've just attached a better resolution one now.
img_20150807_231111-jpg.142833

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_231111.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 55

jason00

For me, she is the only tort I have, not sure of her actual age but I had her for around 10 years. She has been in this space for 5 years or so, it doesnt seems to have any big problem. its summer all year long here, the tiles is not very cold. Im staying in high rise apartment, im unable to let her have grass to graze on.
unnamed.jpg

jason00

Just today, she pee n poop 2-3 times. more than usual. She is still eating well. but pace around the whole area non stop.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just today, she pee n poop 2-3 times. more than usual. She is still eating well. but pace around the whole area non stop.

She sounds very stressed. Maybe @Tom will be able to help.

I don't know anything about your type of tort or when they start to lay eggs etc but maybe it's that.
Do you have big trays of substrate around for her to dig in?
That is a lovely big area but I think that slippery floor could affect the development of her legs/feet.
And what about humidity, uvb, heat? Because the floor temps are always lower than air temp.
You could buy some tomato bag trays and plant up with grass so she has access to some grazing.

Last edited:

jason00

She has never mate, if there really is egg it would be a waste. I could prepare a tray of substrate if she is trying to lay eggs.
I usually have some stone tiles around her water dish to help her exercise a little, I know it's not much.I took them to wash off her pee
Not sure of the floor temp, but it's warm here, lowest it can go is 28 degree normally is around 30degree or higher. She get natural sun for uvb.
I'll try the tomato bag tray .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She has never mate, if there really is egg it would be a waste. I could prepare a tray of substrate if she is trying to lay eggs.
I usually have some stone tiles around her water dish to help her exercise a little, I know it's not much.I took them to wash off her pee
Not sure of the floor temp, but it's warm here, lowest it can go is 28 degree normally is around 30degree or higher. She get natural sun for uvb.
I'll try the tomato bag tray .
I'm sure I've read that some female torts can produce eggs even if not been near a male but do a search and check that.
If you buy a temp gun you can spot check the floor temp.
If you plant grass seeds in the tray make sure they don't have any chemicals/fertiliser in them t make it grow quicker. The search facility will help you find best sort of grass to grow.
Do you take her out for sun? UVB through glass is greatly weakened.
If I had that space I would give her a massive area of substrate using a wooden frame and plastic sheeting, something she can step in and out of easily as she's used to having a lot of space to wander.
Does her poop look normal - firm stools or soft and runny? It may be she isn't digesting food properly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The scaled down version is in my profile pic. But I've just attached a better resolution one now.
img_20150807_231111-jpg.142833
They are beautiful little torts but I would separate to be on the safe side not wait for the passive one to become ill through stress.

jason00

From morning to afternoon, the sun shine directly through the window frame (there is no window glass). She will always find her own spot to bask daily.
her poop usually quite firm, these few days look soft n runny.
That is actually my balcony. I wanted to have the substrate too, but i live with my parents. They cant take the smell when she pee or poop on it, :confused:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jason, the way you are housing this tortoise is harmful. It needs a proper enclosure with substrate of some sort.

If your parents will not let you give this tortoise what it needs, I think you should consider finding it home where is can be housed correctly.

jason00

i understand.

but is there a reason why she would be pacing around so much suddenly?
could it be like what lyn said, the behavior showing that she ready to lay eggs?