Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello Hoshi. Welcome to the forum. (I know, I'm a little late.) Not a lot of people keep Indian Stars over here. At least not in comparison to some other species. I don't have any stars, but I'll share some general tortoise info with you.

Part of the reason for the less than tremendous number of responses to your questions is that you have moved into the realm of opinion. Different people do it different ways and all of them might have great success with THEIR method. Often how one keeps them needs to be dependent upon the environment you live in. I live in a desert area, so I have to go way overboard trying to maintain humidity, hydration and moisture for my species. Other members live in warm swampy areas and they have to make sure things don't get too wet and moldy. None of us really know what your climate is like in your part of India (although, I'd love to go there someday). So just make your best guess and adjust according to your tortoises.

As far as what happens in nature regarding hydration; I don't let that influence me too much. Dozens or hundreds of babies die in nature for every ONE that makes it to adulthood. That ratio is unacceptable to me. I can't afford dozens of torts to try get one to survive. So I do the things that I know will help give them their best chance at survival in captivity in my enclosures. As I said, I don't keep stars, but I do soak all of my young ones of all of my species everyday. I also spray their shells several times a day and provide humid hide boxes too. And all of mine are "desert" species. I have never heard that excess soaking will cause any nutrient deficiencies, but that does not mean Samstar is wrong. It could very well mean that I am ignorant and he is right. I can tell you that I have been doing it this way for three years now and have not had anything but success and healthy tortoises with it. To date, I have raised 42 hatchlings of three different species this way, and they are all growing smooth and healthy.

samstar

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello Hoshi. Welcome to the forum. (I know, I'm a little late.) Not a lot of people keep Indian Stars over here. At least not in comparison to some other species. I don't have any stars, but I'll share some general tortoise info with you.

Part of the reason for the less than tremendous number of responses to your questions is that you have moved into the realm of opinion. Different people do it different ways and all of them might have great success with THEIR method. Often how one keeps them needs to be dependent upon the environment you live in. I live in a desert area, so I have to go way overboard trying to maintain humidity, hydration and moisture for my species. Other members live in warm swampy areas and they have to make sure things don't get too wet and moldy. None of us really know what your climate is like in your part of India (although, I'd love to go there someday). So just make your best guess and adjust according to your tortoises.

As far as what happens in nature regarding hydration; I don't let that influence me too much. Dozens or hundreds of babies die in nature for every ONE that makes it to adulthood. That ratio is unacceptable to me. I can't afford dozens of torts to try get one to survive. So I do the things that I know will help give them their best chance at survival in captivity in my enclosures. As I said, I don't keep stars, but I do soak all of my young ones of all of my species everyday. I also spray their shells several times a day and provide humid hide boxes too. And all of mine are "desert" species. I have never heard that excess soaking will cause any nutrient deficiencies, but that does not mean Samstar is wrong. It could very well mean that I am ignorant and he is right. I can tell you that I have been doing it this way for three years now and have not had anything but success and healthy tortoises with it. To date, I have raised 42 hatchlings of three different species this way, and they are all growing smooth and healthy.

Very well said.
What I meant was that it's not a must to soak everyday. If there is a water dish, they will drink from it.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Tom - Agree with your post. 42 hatchings is quite an achievement, congratulations! My Star seems to enjoy his daily warm soaks and only wants to step out after he's unloaded his food - I will stick with that routine.

Samstar - he does have a shallow water dish, although I've never seen him soak in it or drink from it.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Hi hoshi!

Soaking - i leave a "pool" in their pen and have a light half over it to keep it warm because my tort loves to soak... She goes in everyday by herself and stays for a few minutes...I find that when the weather is not too hot and dry, she does not soak herself..so i just follow her instincts on that one.

We have the same problem with food,no dandelions here as well, i ordered some seeds online but no luck growing them :(

2vs1 - I first had 1 tort who is very shy and sleeps all the time...but when I got another tort as her company she became very active...she follows the new guy around all the time, This probably depends on the torts personality but mine loves company :)

I live in the philippines and I was advised by a lot of people that i do not need UVB bulb since it's sunny almost every day here, and half of their pen has sunlight half of the day. However, I still ordered a UVB bulb for emergencies. There are times when it's raining everyday here and no sun.

basking in the sun- One of my tort never bask in the sunlight, like yours she hides from it...so if I feel like she needs it, i leave her in an enclosure with no shady part for a few minutes only (has to be morning) But my other tort bask in the sun almost everyday. You'll see him chasing the sunlight.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Hmm .. I'm in the process of making a new 8x2 pen for him - so will include a nice pool area under the lamp.

He shat white pieces this morning - I'm guessing urates? should I be worried?

donnod

5 Year Member
hi,
i'm new here..i'm staying in singapore and am looking for star tortoise...anyone who is willing to sell or anyone knows whos selling please pm me asap...thnks..

Status
Not open for further replies.