Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
mmbdxh.jpg

I just read and re-read this book. I bought it from Tyler at the show this weekend. It was written by Jerry Fife, so I knew it would be good, but I didn't know that it would be THIS good!

This is an EXCELLENT tortoise book. Its full of great Star tortoise info, but its also full of tons of great info on diet, housing, temps, pyramiding and hydration.

Even if you have no interest in stars, this is a great book to have just for the breakdown on all the foods.

After all this time, I finally understand the difference between all the different stars.

Because of this fantastic book, I have discovered the next tortoise species I want to work with. Geochelone platynota. The Burmese star.
According to the book, they are very hardy and they're from an area with a climate very similar to inland Southern CA. They apparently adapt very well to outdoor living right where I am. PERFECT!

This book took me back in time to a different era in my life. I used to get ALL of my info from books like this. I would read every reptile book I could get my hands on, and then re-read them. There was no internet or forums back then, so if you didn't have the good fortune to know Russ Gurley or the Fife's, all you had was their books.

Anyhow, I HIGHLY recommend this book, even if you don't care about star tortoises. Its that good.

Reactions: BTM

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
There's nothing quite like cracking open an unread tortoise book, running a hot bath, and listening to "when a man loves a woman."

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm not the one that was trying to balance the selling of cockroaches with the scanning of threads on TFO at the same time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just because I called you a weirdo does not mean that I'm not one too.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
haha, i have this book also and its amazing. idk if you'd try sri lankan stars, but i have one and he seems extremely hardy and ive had him since he was a couple months old. i live in ny and the climate here isnt usually warm all the time and my star is thriving.

R

racyhall11

The Biology and Status of the Star Tortoise in Sri Lanka by Anslem De Silva. This book is 100 pages with both color photos and between illustrations. There are so many books names as Star Tortoise book. You can get informations about Tortoise from this books.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
The book is good. Its a good general outline of star tortoises. I have also got good info from reputable star breeders across the land. I was just reading an email from a star breeder friend of mine on the east coast about incubating sri lankan stars. He was telling me some of the issues that he used to have (extra vetebral scutes, hatchlings dying in the egg near full term, weak and dying hatchlings) and what a friend suggested he change. Well he made the changes and hasnt had a problem since. He then went on to tell me try finding that info in a book. I like books for all the reasons you pointed out, but for in depth info I would recommend talking to breeders. I would recommend googleing Dr Peter Liu if your interested in platynota.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
its a great book! do grab it! :)

Hope Jerry Fife or someone writes a book about radiated tortoises though.

Status
Not open for further replies.