Star tortoise shell

Rachellyapp

Hi all, I'm new in keeping star tortoise and I realizes
- the shell cracks
- there are a few holes on the shell

after I got it home for a few weeks.. May I know what happen? She eats and poo well everyday..

There are some pictures of the cracking parts and the holes on the shell.. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393944136.869298.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393944162.092315.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393944190.050456.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393944218.179909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I don't know anything about stars, but this does not look good. Maybe you should post these pictures in the "Tortoise Health" section of this forum? Good luck- stars are SO beautiful!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Beautiful Torts.

I'm sorry I don't know how to help you but we have many expert here.

Maybe you can share what the condition of his previous enclosure the star was in that may caused those shell problems?

So we may avoid the same mistakes. Thanks.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Any dogs or cats or other animals come in contact with your star?

Rachellyapp

Moozillion said:
I don't know anything about stars, but this does not look good. Maybe you should post these pictures in the "Tortoise Health" section of this forum? Good luck- stars are SO beautiful!!

Thank you so much for the information, Moozillion! I'll post the pictures in the tortoise health section now.. :)

bouaboua said:
Beautiful Torts.

I'm sorry I don't know how to help you but we have many expert here.

Maybe you can share what the condition of his previous enclosure the star was in that may caused those shell problems?

So we may avoid the same mistakes. Thanks.

She used to live with other star tortoises before I bring her home.. I found cracking shell after she's home for two-three weeks.. Is changing environment part of the reason of cracking shell?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394289092.666721.jpg

She crawls freely in the garden throughout the day (as the picture above) then I'll move her into the tank at night.. She doesn't has a UV light in her tank yet.. Is it part of the reason of cracking shell? She eats and poo twice per day..

AnnV said:
Any dogs or cats or other animals come in contact with your star?

I have a rabbit at home as well.. The rabbit play freely in the garden..

Last edited by a moderator: