Questions about Star Tortoises shell

CrocOdali

Hi everyone, I am interested in getting a couple of Star tortoises and I saw some young ones at a pet store but I noticed that they had a dull shell (in comparison to the pictures I see online that are very bright in colour) so I'm not sure if they are different breeds advertised as Star tortoises? Also I noticed that they are shorter in height or flatter (from the ground to the top of the shell). I also would like to know about the spikes or bumps on some tortoises shells, do they come with age or are they specific to some tortoises?

Kindly note that I'm comparing the ones I saw to the general online picture.

Thanks for the help.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I personally would not get a tortoise, and definitely not a star, from a pet store unless they specialize in reptiles and give you info about the source / breeder and how the tortoises were kept. With stars, the investment is worthy of being sure they were started and taken care of properly. It takes a long time for serious health issues to become apparent that may not be evident initially.

The bright colors you see on pictures are mostly because we all like to show off our tortoises at their best and usually take a picture of the tortoise while it is wet - so the colors are much more pronounced. The bumpiness you are probably referring to is pyramiding, and caused primarily by growth in conditions that are not best for the tortoise - primarily in dry conditions. Stars and leopards are particularly prone to pyramiding without real attention to proper husbandry, and even then some will still get bumpy somewhat.

I see from your other post you are traveling abroad right now. If you are seeing the stars outside of the US, keep in mind importing them legally to the US would be almost impossible.

8james8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
If you do not have experience in taking care of a tortoise, you might find the sensitivity of the stars to be difficult.

Take a look at the care sheets on the forum. That should give you a solid picture of their needs.

Stars are one of most amazing looking species of tortoise. Especially if you get a high yellow one. I highly recommend you find a breeder that has a good reputation and can assist you through the process of their care.