Star Tortoise winking. Left eye closed

leno

5 Year Member
My other star tortoise has this weird winking which only the right eye remains open and the left closed. Sometimes when i soak him, he would open up once in awhile and closed it up...it is eating quite well and most of the time decides to close both eyes and sleep.

Is this a certain kind of sickness? RI?
Pls help. ThanksImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442418725.128119.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I remember right, you just now gave them UVB lighting. I don't know if they had much lighting before this or if they were kept in pretty dark or dim conditions. It could be it not used to so much lighting after not having it for 3 years, too dry of a substrate, it got irritated or something in it or scratched or if your using a coil bulb, then that's it. Keep soaking and softly run some warm water over his face/eyes and make sure all the temps and humidity is correct at tort level. Also that your reading temps and humidity with good equipment. Those disc type ones that pet stores sell are not the most accurate

leno

5 Year Member
If I remember right, you just now gave them UVB lighting. I don't know if they had much lighting before this or if they were kept in pretty dark or dim conditions. It could be it not used to so much lighting after not having it for 3 years, too dry of a substrate, it got irritated or something in it or scratched or if your using a coil bulb, then that's it. Keep soaking and softly run some warm water over his face/eyes and make sure all the temps and humidity is correct at tort level. Also that your reading temps and humidity with good equipment. Those disc type ones that pet stores sell are not the most accurate

the one that has eye issue is new addition which does not have any health issue like the other. except for the eye.

will monitor and see how he is.

leno

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442448174.661097.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442448194.980249.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442448205.214259.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442448224.334180.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442448239.535751.jpg

The updates today morning. After soaking.