Hi.
I got a star tortoise recently.

Do they drink water?
What is the best kind of food for them?

Please help.
He is about 1 and a half years old.

Thanks.

It is an Indian Star Tortoise.
Is it normal when it sleeps with it's neck out?
Or is it supposed to sleep in the shell?
Sorry, I am completely new to this.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Star ~

Welcome to TFO! Yes, torties drink water ~ a dish/bowl of fresh water should always be available. If you look on the various listings, you will find all kinds of care info for tort's, including stars.

Just take a moment to look around the site and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of answers.

Purpod

P.S. And yes, it is common for a tortie to sleep with his head out

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How can you differentiate between the male and the female?

At what age do they start breeding and where does a tortoise in captivity normally lay eggs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
starkid said:
Do they drink water?
What is the best kind of food for them?
Is it normal when it sleeps with it's neck out?
Or is it supposed to sleep in the shell?
Sorry, I am completely new to this.

Welcome to the forum, Starkid: Can we know your name?

All tortoises drink water. Its a myth that they get ALL their moisture from their food.

Most tortoises sleep with their neck extended and their head laying on the floor. Usually one front leg is extended and the opposite back leg is extended.

I don't know what Stars eat, because I have no experience with them, but there are many Star keepers here on the forum who will help you. Read through the posts here: http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-33.html and maybe some of your questions will be answered.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Yvonne

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How can you differentiate between the male and the female? At what age do they start breeding and where does a tortoise in captivity normally lay eggs?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I feed mine weeds like dandalions, plantain weed, violets, and even thisle. They also get grape and mulberry leaves. If you can get opuntia (prickly pear) this is a favorite and excellant food. No fruits or protein. In the winter collards, mustard greens and turnip greens. I have a plant saucer that they can drink out of and soak in. Mine are kept on grass hay that they will munch on too.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
starkid said:
How can you differentiate between the male and the female? At what age do they start breeding and where does a tortoise in captivity normally lay eggs?

I believe the same way you do most torts, by the tail, but yours would be too young to tell. Most torts don't start laying until after they are about 5-7years or more my the size but you want a slow steady growth not a fast one. With yours so young you have a ways to go. A tort in captivity usually lays, if you have them outside, in the dirt, Inside you usually have to provide a laying box for them.
Here are two sites to get you started plus read the star site here on the forum.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/celegans.html
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Geleganscare.htm

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
starkid said:

At 1.5 years old it would be exteremely hard to guess the gender of Star tortoise unless you're a very experienced breeder. I wouldn't expect them to start breeding until they're between 7-10 yrs old anyway so just enjoy them for several more years :).

Status
Not open for further replies.