Star Tortoises’ Forest Enclosure!

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I finally finished making my girls their semi permanent enclosure! I tried to make it look like a little forest with the trees and rocks, I hope it came out well :) this is their home for the next few years until I decide how I’m going to be keeping them permanently! I’d love any feedback y’all have!

1B75BD92-8D25-48B2-98EA-DF600A6EFA5C.jpeg4B4C271F-9CAA-4382-A915-A07C43F6AC4D.jpeg4BC817BF-AAC4-4355-8245-5D33A85F3308.jpeg2EF6B5EE-B69F-4748-AF0F-F111B4013325.jpeg39DCBF07-ED3E-492F-BBF2-B1D7E0F9D255.jpeg

ManAlive85

London UK
Hi Katie, welcome to TFO and congrats on your two very cute stars. Are they brand new?

Looks like a solid setup, should be easy to maintain the humidity and temps in there. I went for a forest style for my star too, she loves rummaging through the leaves, it’s like a scene from Jurassic Park when she’s on the move ?.

D49CE128-19EC-4BB1-8428-0F829ED0EFC7.jpeg

Texas
Hi Katie, welcome to TFO and congrats on your two very cute stars. Are they brand new?

Looks like a solid setup, should be easy to maintain the humidity and temps in there. I went for a forest style for my star too, she loves rummaging through the leaves, it’s like a scene from Jurassic Park when she’s on the move ?.

View attachment 300207
Thank you, and yes! I got them just a month ago, they’d been in a storage bin before that because that’s what my breeder had recommended but I switched to glass because I was having trouble regulating the heat and humidity.

And wow, your enclosure and tortoise are beautiful! What kind of plants do you have in there? I was definitely planning on putting some in mine as well! And that imagery sounds adorable ? I can see a Jurassic park reboot with baby torts now haha

ManAlive85

London UK
Thank you, and yes! I got them just a month ago, they’d been in a storage bin before that because that’s what my breeder had recommended but I switched to glass because I was having trouble regulating the heat and humidity.

And wow, your enclosure and tortoise are beautiful! What kind of plants do you have in there? I was definitely planning on putting some in mine as well! And that imagery sounds adorable ? I can see a Jurassic park reboot with baby torts now haha

So exciting! I’ve got my name down for another star that’s due to hatch in the next few weeks. I’m going to start work on a second story for the enclosure.

Thank you! I wish I could remember what all the plants are ?; also, a lot of plants have different common names over here in the UK than in the US. Tricky to find plants that will survive the combination of high heat and humidity and low light conditions of a viv, I killed a lot of succulents before I decided they weren’t going to work out. I know I’ve got some pothos in there, some Boston fern, asparagus fern and a couple of prayer plants amongst others.

The Tortoise Table app/website is your friend when selecting live plants. It’s free to download if you don’t already have it. It errs on the side of caution so you can be pretty sure that anything marked green or amber should be safe to put in an enclosure. My star very rarely eats any of her plants but every now and again she demolishes one out of the blue so you need to be careful. Also worth noting that anything from a garden centre should really be repotted and kept for a few weeks before introducing it to the enclosure to flush out as much pesticide and other chemicals as possible.

Texas
So exciting! I’ve got my name down for another star that’s due to hatch in the next few weeks. I’m going to start work on a second story for the enclosure.

Thank you! I wish I could remember what all the plants are ?; also, a lot of plants have different common names over here in the UK than in the US. Tricky to find plants that will survive the combination of high heat and humidity and low light conditions of a viv, I killed a lot of succulents before I decided they weren’t going to work out. I know I’ve got some pothos in there, some Boston fern, asparagus fern and a couple of prayer plants amongst others.

The Tortoise Table app/website is your friend when selecting live plants. It’s free to download if you don’t already have it. It errs on the side of caution so you can be pretty sure that anything marked green or amber should be safe to put in an enclosure. My star very rarely eats any of her plants but every now and again she demolishes one out of the blue so you need to be careful. Also worth noting that anything from a garden centre should really be repotted and kept for a few weeks before introducing it to the enclosure to flush out as much pesticide and other chemicals as possible.

Ooh congrats on the new baby! I bet a two story Viv will look awesome. I’ll definitely download that app, thanks so much for the tip and the suggestions :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I finally finished making my girls their semi permanent enclosure! I tried to make it look like a little forest with the trees and rocks, I hope it came out well :) this is their home for the next few years until I decide how I’m going to be keeping them permanently! I’d love any feedback y’all have!

View attachment 300202View attachment 300203View attachment 300204View attachment 300205View attachment 300206
Hi! Nice looking habitat, but I see a few problems.

They should never be in pairs. Can you get a third one?

That water container is not safe or suitable. Sink a shallow terra cotta plant saucer into the substrate instead.

What bulbs are in the dual hood?

Texas
Hi! Nice looking habitat, but I see a few problems.

They should never be in pairs. Can you get a third one?

That water container is not safe or suitable. Sink a shallow terra cotta plant saucer into the substrate instead.

What bulbs are in the dual hood?
Hi, thank you for the feedback!

The breeder I bought them from told me that they would be ok being in a pair because they were raised together, but if I see any issues as they grow I’ll definitely seperate them. I don’t think I can afford a third one unfortunately.

can you elaborate on what’s wrong with their water container? I definitely don’t want something unsafe in there!

the dual hood only has one ceramic heat emitter in it on the right side

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, thank you for the feedback!

The breeder I bought them from told me that they would be ok being in a pair because they were raised together, but if I see any issues as they grow I’ll definitely seperate them. I don’t think I can afford a third one unfortunately.

can you elaborate on what’s wrong with their water container? I definitely don’t want something unsafe in there!

the dual hood only has one ceramic heat emitter in it on the right side
They are star tortoises. You will likely never see overt obvious hostility like bitting and ramming or mounting. The low grade stress of living as a pair will hamper their immune systems and suppress the appetite of one or the other. Its not good. Many breeders erroneously say this. Some of them know better, but just want to make a sale. They need to be separated.

That walls of the water container are too steep, too tall, and too slippery. Take a hot wheels car and try to drive it into that water container while keeping all four wheels on the ground. See what sort of positions it ends up in. Edges like that don't work for rigid shelled animals. You need something with low sides, an angled entry and exit, shallow water, and some traction for little wet tortoise feet. A terra cotta saucer fits the bill perfectly and they are cheap. Save your baking pan for baking.

I just noticed the humidifier tube in your pic. That is not a good idea either.

Give this a read. It should provide a whole lot of info that will help:

Texas
They are star tortoises. You will likely never see overt obvious hostility like bitting and ramming or mounting. The low grade stress of living as a pair will hamper their immune systems and suppress the appetite of one or the other. Its not good. Many breeders erroneously say this. Some of them know better, but just want to make a sale. They need to be separated.

That walls of the water container are too steep, too tall, and too slippery. Take a hot wheels car and try to drive it into that water container while keeping all four wheels on the ground. See what sort of positions it ends up in. Edges like that don't work for rigid shelled animals. You need something with low sides, an angled entry and exit, shallow water, and some traction for little wet tortoise feet. A terra cotta saucer fits the bill perfectly and they are cheap. Save your baking pan for baking.

Ok, I ran to Walmart and grabbed them a teracotta dish and will start looking into separating them. I had previously read that keeping them together was bad before the breeder told me otherwise, so that would make more sense. Thank you for the link to the guide, it’s very helpful! And thank you very much for all of the good advice :)

Reactions: Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok, I ran to Walmart and grabbed them a teracotta dish and will start looking into separating them. I had previously read that keeping them together was bad before the breeder told me otherwise, so that would make more sense. Thank you for the link to the guide, it’s very helpful! And thank you very much for all of the good advice :)

In @Tom we trust. You can’t go wrong following Tom’s info. Tried n true.

Texas

Its very refreshing to see someone Open to good advice and not fight it ? beautiful torts btw!
Thank you very much! I’m absolutely in love with them haha. It’s definitely been a bit of a learning curve since getting them and thinking I knew everything needed and then realizing they’re more complicated to take care of than I thought haha, kind of like being a new parent I guess ?. I’m definitely trying to take the best possible care of them though and want them to grow up as healthy and happy as they can! Any advice on that is always appreciated :)

Edit: accidentally tagged you both so sorry Tom! The mobile webpage is cursing me lol I need to get on my computer.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Thank you very much! I’m absolutely in love with them haha. It’s definitely been a bit of a learning curve since getting them and thinking I knew everything needed and then realizing they’re more complicated to take care of than I thought haha, kind of like being a new parent I guess ?. I’m definitely trying to take the best possible care of them though and want them to grow up as healthy and happy as they can! Any advice on that is always appreciated :)
Just follow Toms thread and youll have no problems. Once everything is set up correctly it is very simple after that.