Starter tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

raac2122

5 Year Member
Do you guys have any starter tip for a new owner of a Russian tortoise.
(when i get one) Please and thank you

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
READ a lot before getting one.. dont beleive what they tell you inthe pet store if that is where you plan to get them.
have your enclosure ready, lights, heat, substrate, diet..
so start asking questions! and welcome

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
When you are planning your enclosure plan on making it big enough for at least two tortoises,because after you get one you most likely will want another one. That's the way it usually goes. Len

raac2122

5 Year Member
Len said:
When you are planning your enclosure plan on making it big enough for at least two tortoises,because after you get one you most likely will want another one. That's the way it usually goes. Len

Measurements? L-W... and how high should the wall be? And thank you all

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
4x4 would be good.. it all depends on your space. but bigger better.
the walls should be higher then the tortise is long. they can stretch, some are good at climbing corners, consider capping them, and when you add substrate and hides.. it gives them things to climb on and the walls need to go higher..

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
raac2122 said:
Here is what I have been told.

Lots of space.
Two hides minimum one cool one hot (Half log is good).
Good substrate: Coconut coir, organic topsoil, peat moss (NO PINE) by themselves or mixed, but deep enough for the tort to burrow. Timothy straw is great and my ruskie loves it.
Heat source up to 100 degrees and UVB lamp with or without heat source but preferably Mercury Vapor.
Dish large enough for tort to soak
removable food dish.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1GXHi7CEH
Probably forgetting something but everyone here is helpful so they will fill in the blanks.:)

[EDIT] Wow, my server must have been lagging because it showed no replies when I responded, lol.

raac2122

5 Year Member
Mean Guy said:
raac2122 said:
Here is what I have been told.

Lots of space.
Two hides minimum one cool one hot (Half log is good).
Good substrate: Coconut coir, organic topsoil, peat moss (NO PINE) by themselves or mixed, but deep enough for the tort to burrow. Timothy straw is great and my ruskie loves it.
Heat source up to 100 degrees and UVB lamp with or without heat source but preferably Mercury Vapor.
Dish large enough for tort to soak
removable food dish.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1GXHi7CEH
Probably forgetting something but everyone here is helpful so they will fill in the blanks.:)

[EDIT] Wow, my server must have been lagging because it showed no replies when I responded, lol.

thanks for the tips... some people told me to do 50/50 sand and dirt.... and lots of people said that coconut coir is bad for the tortoises.... and how deep for them to burrow. like 1 inch?

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
raac2122 said:
thanks for the tips... some people told me to do 50/50 sand and dirt.... and lots of people said that coconut coir is bad for the tortoises.... and how deep for them to burrow. like 1 inch?
Well, there seems to be some controversy about it, but the general consensus, both on and off the board (with some notable exceptions http://www.russiantortoise.org/substrate.htm ), seems to be "little, if any sand". Who told you that coconut coir is bad for torts? I have yet to hear that. You need to keep it moist so maybe they were talking about dry coir, Maybe someone who is better informed can answer that.;)

As far as depth, I think 3 inches minimum is what was recommended, but since I put in the Timothy Hay he does not burrow into the sub, the hay seems to satisfy his need to burrow.:)

I am pretty new here too so I hope I haven't misled you. The forum is filled with great info, so read around and a lot of your questions will be answered.

raac2122

5 Year Member
Mean Guy said:
raac2122 said:
Well, there seems to be some controversy about it, but the general consensus, both on and off the board (with some notable exceptions http://www.russiantortoise.org/substrate.htm ), seems to be "little, if any sand". Who told you that coconut coir is bad for torts? I have yet to hear that. You need to keep it moist so maybe they were talking about dry coir, Maybe someone who is better informed can answer that.;)

As far as depth, I think 3 inches minimum is what was recommended, but since I put in the Timothy Hay he does not burrow into the sub, the hay seems to satisfy his need to burrow.:)

I am pretty new here too so I hope I haven't misled you. The forum is filled with great info, so read around and a lot of your questions will be answered.

i heard it on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.