Starting to pyramid or I’m just a worrywart

tiffy123

Location (City and/or State)
metro manila
Hi, this is Waves:). She’s turning 5 months this August 24. She has a humidifier on her enclosure and she is soaked everyday. I was wondering though, are these the beginning of her shell pyramiding?

22BCCC8F-1516-4926-9DC9-D7F42B7608F7.jpegB10C3989-9624-4461-91F9-1E9A6D2337D6.jpeg6D1F4307-BDAA-4770-8E7D-2825AA117DB2.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a very minor, almost imperceptible amount of pyramiding there. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn close. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Review this and see if there is anything about the enclosure or lighting that might help a little.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, this is Waves:). She’s turning 5 months this August 24. She has a humidifier on her enclosure and she is soaked everyday. I was wondering though, are these the beginning of her shell pyramiding?
What type of light are you using?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

tiffy123

metro manila
You have a very minor, almost imperceptible amount of pyramiding there. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn close. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Review this and see if there is anything about the enclosure or lighting that might help a little.
Thank you, I think I will make her hide more humid... maybe it’s not trapping the humidity from the humidifier well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, I think I will make her hide more humid... maybe it’s not trapping the humidity from the humidifier well.
You should not need a humidifier. If you do, then something is wrong.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of light are you using?
regular LED bulbs to brighten the enclosure.
How are you providing UV Light? Are you getting Waves outside throughout the week to get some UV? Bone and shell growth requires not only Calcium, but also Vit D, best made in the body from UV exposure. Vitamin D deficiency is the most common cause of osteoporosis in humans. MBD is more a Vitamin D deficiency than it is a calcium deficiency.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should not need a humidifier. If you do, then something is wrong.
I have found that using Orchid bark on top of coco coir that has been made very wet keeps the humidity just right in a "closed chamber". I add water right into the substrate which then allows the humidity to rise. The Orchid bark on top dries out just perfectly so the tortoises are not on "wet" substrate. You will find all this in the "Care sheets" @Tom has provided you. Have fun.

Tacos-Life

South Carolina
I recently got a Sulcata and he has been blowing bubbles but I know that I should soak him prob twice a day

pyramiding hasn't happened yet I sure hope he stays healthy

"more moisturizing for sure".

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Bubbles is a sign of respiratory infection, unless you see this during or after a soak which is normal. If you see constant discharge from the nose then schedule a vet appointment and up your temps by 5°F.