Still have RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
My 3 year old star tortoise has respiratory infection. Had antibiotic (ceftazidime) injections for 6 weeks (15 injections), appetite is still good and been more active this week. Went back to the vets today and my usual vet was off. Another one looked at my tortoise and he said that 5 injections should have cured her, maybe need to do some test to find a more suitable medication. Advice me to try no antibiotics for 7 days and see if any improvements. Should I wait or do the test ASAP, thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RI is a real problem. Contrary to oft-repeated comments, it is tough to cure. The bacteria that cause it are very hard to kill- most antibiotic regimens are designed to control the secondary infections that so often hit and make things worse.

If you trust your vet's expertise, I would do as they suggest, or seek a second opinion from another that you do.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Each time she comes back from the vet's, condition seems worse, very tired and bubbles from the nose. Few days later she looks better, think stress made it worse.

Yesterday we went to the vet's and she had a injection. Now she is not eating well, I will monitor for a few days

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
Each time she comes back from the vet's, condition seems worse, very tired and bubbles from the nose. Few days later she looks better, think stress made it worse.

Yesterday we went to the vet's and she had a injection. Now she is not eating well, I will monitor for a few days

My adult sulcata was adopted with a URI....she was active and ate like a pig...But I took him to the vet.. Vet advised me to ride it out..since the only symptom was the clear mucus discharge (and the fact that he was active and eating fine)..but I insisted on antibiotics and was prescribed Ceftazidime every 72hrs.. Almost immeadiatly he stopped eating and became sluggish after 3 shots I called the vet ..And explained that i believed the shots were making him feel worst...She then recommended I stop the antibiotics...increase the temps in the enclosure and monitor ..if his discharge changes color or he stops eating to bring him back in..

Well it's been over 5 month.. He still sounds plegmy and clears his throat a few times a day....but he has put on lots of weight and is very active..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Upper RI will never be cured. They can only be controlled. You can aid in managing a happy strong tortoise with flare ups by increasing their temps...assuring hydration and encouraging food. IMHO if you have given antibiotics this long and your tortoise seems to be doing better then you take em back for re check...and a vet that did not have part in initial recovery spouts off add'l antibiotics should be given I would have the two vets meet with you and have them explain their two totally different treatment plans and ask them to explain to you which one of them you should acknowledged as correct??

Yes...stress is absolutely a factor that will spark a URI to flare up...some tortoise are never known to have had URI until they have stress moment and it flares up.....

I would at lest keep your temps a bit warmer than usual as well as in the night I would not let the temps fall below 80-85 and be sure to soak everyday at least once especially due to antibiotic treatment as that is hard on their kidney/liver...and continue to offer food....handle as little as possible except for necessary stuff...

You could also get another vet opinion....but don't be surprised if that simply adds a third diagnosis and treatment....:D

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
She seems happier today, the temp is 82 - 90 (cool & hot ends) humidity is 40, using oil radiator, 250W CHE, humidifier to keep this stable. Soaks her twice a day in warm water for 30mins, add probiotics to her food. She eats well and wanders around her enclosure. Leaving her alone, she gets stressed so easily. Hope she gets well soon, thanks everyone

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
My tortoise is more active now, eats alot but no poo for a week. Her head is very dry and beak is brittle. I soak her twice a day but no poo & dry head, please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.