Still not eating-almost a month ?

Henry’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hello. My Henry has been in his new well regulated closed enclosure now for a week tomorrow and he only ate a literal few bites 3 days ago. That was the morning after the first time I added pedialyte to his baby food soaks but not a thing since then of any other time. He started getting sick and not eating a month ago today. He’s back to mostly just sleeping and only opening his eyes a little bit during soaks.

He’s been pooping a little bit every couple days usually in the soak but yesterday and today he’s had a little diarrhea. Could that be from the pedialyte? I’ve been soaking him twice a day first in baby food mix then water each time. Extra long today about 45 minutes total. Tried to let him climb some for exercise.

It seems like he’s a little bloated or puffy to me almost like he’s retaining fluids maybe but he’s not eating. I noticed this yesterday. I had noticed his shell looking like it was starting to bulge where they meet and thought maybe that’s a good thing and that he’s growing but 2 things-1. I think his body and head might be puffy today too and 2. I weighed him today and he’s only 33g. A week ago he had 4-5 days of decent eating and got to 38g from 36g but this is bad news. If his body is growing I’m afraid his insides might not be. ? For about the last two weeks his little head looks smaller and more round-seems like a very bad sign but not sure.

I’ve tried all different types of foods that I know he eats and new ones too but he won’t budge. He won’t even eat the baby food now either (he only did that a little a couple weeks ago).

I want to order Mazuri. Which type should I get for a baby sully? Small tort, herbivore, LS, just diet? I haven’t been putting calcium or vitamins on his food even the 4 days he ate because he’s not a fan and I want him to eat as much as possible.

What else can I do? Does anyone have a trusted tort vet in the Tampa Bay Area? I feel so bad for him and helpless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the regular mazuri tortoise diet not the LS. I think it has a sulcata on the bag.
Try taking a strawberry and squeeze it onto a food that you do think he likes the best. I don't recommend feeding strawberries but just trying to get him to eat. See if it works. Tortoises like the color red.
It may be that he just wont make it. Some are started all wrong from the breeder and just dont make it.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Get the regular mazuri tortoise diet not the LS. I think it has a sulcata on the bag.
Try taking a strawberry and squeeze it onto a food that you do think he likes the best. I don't recommend feeding strawberries but just trying to get him to eat. See if it works. Tortoises like the color red.
It may be that he just wont make it. Some are started all wrong from the breeder and just dont make it.
Ok thank you ? I’ll definitely try that in the morning. Thanks for the Mazuri info too.