Weight loss/not growing

andyhubbert

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, UK
Hi

I have a Hermanns Tortoise. I think he’s male but still unsure as he’s only 2.

I am doing 2 weekly weighs with him now. I weighed him when I got him about 4 weeks ago and he was 101g weighed him a week later and he was 105g and SCL was 8cm

Just weighed him today and he’s 101g and SCL 8.5cm.

Now he’s eating but doesn’t like demolish his food like other torts I’ve seen. He’s got no signs of RNS or any resp problems. He gets soaked daily and temps in the enclosure are what I’ve been recommended on here.

Urates are good and poop is good and no live worms or signs of in poop.

What should I do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi

I have a Hermanns Tortoise. I think he’s male but still unsure as he’s only 2.

I am doing 2 weekly weighs with him now. I weighed him when I got him about 4 weeks ago and he was 101g weighed him a week later and he was 105g and SCL was 8cm

Just weighed him today and he’s 101g and SCL 8.5cm.

Now he’s eating but doesn’t like demolish his food like other torts I’ve seen. He’s got no signs of RNS or any resp problems. He gets soaked daily and temps in the enclosure are what I’ve been recommended on here.

Urates are good and poop is good and no live worms or signs of in poop.

What should I do?

Stop weighing him twice a week....why don't you change to once a month....keep offering a variety of foods and relax? I say this because a tortoise poo can decrease the total weight...having a big drink of water before you weighed him gave a false actual weight....if the tort is business as usual and no real reason to be concerned....perhaps, not be concerned? :)

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Stop weighing him twice a week....why don't you change to once a month....keep offering a variety of foods and relax? I say this because a tortoise poo can decrease the total weight...having a big drink of water before you weighed him gave a false actual weight....if the tort is business as usual and no real reason to be concerned....perhaps, not be concerned? :)

Sorry my fault every 2 weeks not twice every week sorry!!

Yeh I’m thinking I shouldn’t be concerned as everything seems fine - sorry nervous first time fort owner!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sorry my fault every 2 weeks not twice every week sorry!!

Yeh I’m thinking I shouldn’t be concerned as everything seems fine - sorry nervous first time fort owner!

LOL....we all have our moments and I just was pointing out that if all seems fine and there is that slight of a weight fluctuation then perhaps all is fine and each and every tort will grow at its own pace...

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Don’t worry about it Andy.
I was the same. I weighed really regularly like 3 times per week and I saw that there were many fluctuations in weight gain. Some days my little one would be 3g down on the week before, but overall he gone from 52g when I got him to 80g now. As long as he’s putting weight on steady that’s what matters.