Stink pot turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
So basically I found a baby stink pot had him for a couple of months and then I purchased another baby stink pot. To make a long story short the one I found is starting to become aggressive towards the other turtle. The 5 fish are all fine and never get bothered by them. It seems the aggression comes about because of food. As long as he's full he leaves the other turtle alone so I keep him feed but I feel like he's getting fat. What should I do about this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 110

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
The first one I found while I was fishing this spring. He was about the size of a quarter when I found him. Now he's a fatso. The second one I purchased about 4 months later.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Personally, i would separate them. Have had the situation and wanted to prevent injury.
Cute turtles!

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Is it possible for a turtle to be fat? They get all frantic when they see me walk by because they want food and that's when pawpaw (the big one) gets fiesty. If I feed them he's fine but I don't want to over feed them. Other than that they swim around the 20g long tank with all the mollies and plecko with no problems at all. Their personalities are so different too you can tell one is shy and timid while the other likes to climb things and explore. They are quite the addition to the family.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Well I say tht the wild caught one is just competing for food and is going on instinct to "bully" the other one

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I had a stink pot that was like that. It would bully and bite anything else it was with. Even took a toe off another turtle.

He got re-homed. :)

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Ok can someone answer if turtles can eat to much and get fat? Is there such a thing as an obese turtle?

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
yes they can get fat.
everyone has different ways of going about feeding..."feed as much as it wants for 15min," or "feed only the amount that can fit inside its head," etc etc

how much are you feeding it? and how often?

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
I feed him once a day. I have 2 different size pellets I feed them. The smaller pellets are for the little one and the bigger ones I give to the other. I don't know exactly how much but
I would say 7-10 of the pellets for the big guy. Every now and then if they seem extra anxious during the day ill give him 2 to hold him over til dinner. The fish get fed at one section of the tank one turtle at one end and then the other turtle at the other end. That seems to help feeding them like that.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
If it's all about feeding, then using feeding tank is also good way to avoid bully. Or try to feed them like twice per day?

andysbutterfly

5 Year Member
When they are young they will seem to get really big really fist , my stink pot has grown for the size of a bottle top to near the size of my palm in 12 months so I would worry too much just yet , As for the aggression I'm not sure because I feed mine live and frozen food and all my fish steal it but he does not seem fazed by it at all he just swims off to find more , although i think you my have a sex clash 2 males together would fight as they get bigger .

Status
Not open for further replies.