Store Bought Greens

tortgrl

I have a Russian and a CDT...new to me. I keep reading what to feed them, then I find conflicting lists. So confused!! Right now they both love spring mix , a little collards, some carrots...and the Russian loves petals. I wanted to add kale and dandelion, but read they shouldn't have much of that? Cucumber? The CDT loves the romaine, but not the red leaf in the spring mix. Some cilantro.

They can feast on my St Augustine grass...but they don't seem to really do that. At some point, I will plant some seeds...

Again, I have read the lists, but then another list says limit--like dandelion. Help, please.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Separate enclosures, right?

The Russian tortoise won't eat very much grass. They'll take some of the newer blades, but mostly they eat broad-leaf weeds and plants.

Just buy something different from the list in the food section every time you shop for the tortoises. Dandelion is ok, kale is ok, flowers are ok. Just be sure to not feed from plants that have been sprayed or if you've used a systemic bug control on them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The best idea is to feed a wide variety. Dandelions are fine. Just don't feed ONLY dandelions all day every day. Same for just about anything you mentioned. I would cut the carrots way down. Too sugary. Weeds and leaves are best. A wide variety of them. For store bought foods, I like to favor escarole and endive.

tortgrl

Thanks! I will vary it each week, cut down on the carrots, and try to find some endive and escarole.

And, yes, separate enclosures. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum