Strange behaviour

Sally-Ann Turner

Location (City and/or State)
London
My Herman tortoise spends hours every day trying to climb up the corner of her indoor enclosure! The noise is dreadful. When I take her out and let her roam about the hallway she heads straight to a corner and sleeps! Is this normal behaviour and if not, what can I do? It’s driving is crazy!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ho and welcome.
It's probably because her enclosure is too small and because she knows there's a bigger world out there she won't settle.
Torts are wandering creatures so need a lot of space....4 x 8 feet is the minimum recommended enclosure size for adults of the smaller species.
If you post pics of your enclosure you'll get great advice on how you can improve things to make her happy.

Be careful with her in corners especially near doors - one of the first posts I read on here was from someone who was devastated because he had accidentally crushed his tort's head between a door and door post it was hinged on. There are too many hazards in our homes to let them roam.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There can be numerous reason. As mentioned look at size. If all glass then try to block out so e of the lower part to reduce them seeing h straight out. Review substrate, heat, light, diet, water, humidity and what you have in the enclosure try some plants and low stones for basking. Also break up line of vision and make 8t a bot more interesting.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
My Herman tortoise spends hours every day trying to climb up the corner of her indoor enclosure! The noise is dreadful. When I take her out and let her roam about the hallway she heads straight to a corner and sleeps! Is this normal behaviour and if not, what can I do? It’s driving is crazy!!

Torts are not stupid it trys to climb the walls because it wants out. Most all indoor enclosures are too small for them, even if you have the minimum 4x8ft, in the wild they would have a sq mile. This is esacerbated by you letting it out, once it knows there is a huge space just over those walls it wont soon forget and if anything, torts are relentless if they get an idea in their head.