erratic behaviour

juliette123

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
i have recently inherited a 90 year old spur thigh tortoise called Freda. Never having had a tortoise before I have had to learn very quickly on how to look after her!! This evening she has been running erraticly around her pen, not being able to settle down when normallly she goes in her corner and sleeps! She is literally just running round and round!!

I am starting to get really worried about her, is this normal behaviour or should I call a vet??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pick her up and inspect her whole body under a bright light to make sure something isn't biting her.

juliette123

Birmingham
ive picked her up and checked her a couple of times, externally she seems absolutely fine, is happy(ish) to be held and will stop to have her head stroked but as soon as I stop she just runs off and starts circling again, shes stopping occasionally now but I think shes just getting tired!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long have you had her? That sounds like a tortoise that feels "lost" and is trying to find its way home. Post a pic of the enclosure for us? You'll find that most vets don't know much about tortoises and their care. They can help with injuries sometimes, but most of them know nothing about behavior or husbandry. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

juliette123

Birmingham
We've had her since november, she seemed to settle in really well and be really happy - my great aunt kept her in a cardboard box and let her roam around her lounge for 30 years, so was doing really well in a proper enclosure with lamps. I cant post a pic but it is a good size enclosure and she has planty of room to roam!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
How long have you had her? That sounds like a tortoise that feels "lost" and is trying to find its way home. Post a pic of the enclosure for us? You'll find that most vets don't know much about tortoises and their care. They can help with injuries sometimes, but most of them know nothing about behavior or husbandry. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.
I agree with @Tom. This idea that a tortoise has a "map" of its surroundings, and knows where to go for food, water, heat, cold, etc... is one that has merit. The tortoise might be looking for certain things it is used to in your Aunts lounge!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've had her since november, she seemed to settle in really well and be really happy - my great aunt kept her in a cardboard box and let her roam around her lounge for 30 years, so was doing really well in a proper enclosure with lamps. I cant post a pic but it is a good size enclosure and she has planty of room to roam!
What type of lighting are you using over her? UV bulb? What type?

juliette123

Birmingham
thank you everyone for your help! just an update, I ended up taking her to the vets as her behaviour got more and more strange to me. He x-rayed her and it turns out she was nesting to lay an egg!! she needed a bit of help with a drip and some calcium injections but the egg has now been laid and she is back to her normal self.. thank goodness!! First egg at 90 years old!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
thank you everyone for your help! just an update, I ended up taking her to the vets as her behaviour got more and more strange to me. He x-rayed her and it turns out she was nesting to lay an egg!! she needed a bit of help with a drip and some calcium injections but the egg has now been laid and she is back to her normal self.. thank goodness!! First egg at 90 years old!!
Glad she's doing ok. She reminds me of my Senegal parrots. I have 2 females. One started laying unfertile eggs at age 13, the other just this year at age 16!