Strange cactus growth

JoDee8147

Location (City and/or State)
Western New York
I have a prickly pear cactus that I started last spring. I got it as I cutting and it grew two new pads over the summer. Now it is growing tall narrow flimsy pads.
Anyone know why this is happening? I live in Western New York so for the cold months I have it in a greenhouse that I outfitted as a summer hot box with limited humidity and temps ranging anywhere from 86-92F

Attachments

• 1415469321634.jpg
    1415469321634.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nothing too strange really IMHO. Big spurt of growth, probably has lots of water, good temps. Those pads should harden off, turn darker green now and adjust to our limited winter sun levels. If u are growing them for food for ur torts, id break one off and use it, and the same with the others in a few weeks. Better to have short stocky multi-pronged prickly pear plant than long spindly branches that help to tip the plant over if u have it in small pots.

JoDee8147

Western New York
Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure what was happening since that's not how the first few pads grew... but as long as you're still Ok to eat I'm good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's because they're in a low light situation. Cactus require very bright light to thrive.