Struggling to lay infertile eggs, how long before vet visit?

Cathy P

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol UK
My 17 year old Horsfield tortoise is struggling to lay eggs. She has been digging for 10 days several times a day. Last year after a few days digging she laid 3 infertile eggs eventually just dropping them on the surface - to my shock. This year I have been a bit more clued up and have tried giving various substrates to her and also warm baths.
How long is it safe to leave her before going to the vet? Eggs will be infertile.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't start to worry until she finds a nest that she stays at and actually tries to lay them. Then start counting the time from there. All the other places are just test nests/sites.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
My 17 year old Horsfield tortoise is struggling to lay eggs. She has been digging for 10 days several times a day. Last year after a few days digging she laid 3 infertile eggs eventually just dropping them on the surface - to my shock. This year I have been a bit more clued up and have tried giving various substrates to her and also warm baths.
How long is it safe to leave her before going to the vet? Eggs will be infertile.
I'm not an expert on the subject but I do have a female hermann & a female Russian (horsefield) & they both dig several holes over a week or 2 maybe longer before actually trying to lay any eggs. You're on the right track with offering a different substrates. What worked best for me in the past was organic potting soil mixed with repti bark. Again im not a tortoise expert. I had issues myself with my hermann laying eggs yesterday. I would give her more time. Also the more you make changes to her environment that might delay it as well... They do have some posts about egg impaction, the signs an symptoms & what to look for. I don't think you need to worry about that it just might be helpful just to know what to look for symptom wise. Hope evwryth works out! Take care