HELP!! (struggling to lay eggs)

Meesh

Location (City and/or State)
BRUNSWICK
My female hermanns tort is trying to lay her egss an is struggling pretty bad. Squeeking and straining and grunting. She's been digging holes for about 2 weeks before this. As I started this post I put her in water to try to help her along & it did help, she got 1 out.. Just 1 thought. I usually find 4. Any ideas what I can do to help her.. is soaking her while she lays a bad idea?

zovick

10 Year Member!
My female hermanns tort is trying to lay her egss an is struggling pretty bad. Squeeking and straining and grunting. She's been digging holes for about 2 weeks before this. As I started this post I put her in water to try to help her along & it did help, she got 1 out.. Just 1 thought. I usually find 4. Any ideas what I can do to help her.. is soaking her while she lays a bad idea?
I think it is a bad idea to disturb a female tortoise which is in the process of laying eggs.

Since you already have done so, you should probably take her to the vet for a shot of Lutalyse or Oxytocin to help her get the remaining eggs out.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
I think it is a bad idea to disturb a female tortoise which is in the process of laying eggs.

Since you already have done so, you should probably take her to the vet for a shot of Lutalyse or Oxytocin to help her get the remaining eggs out.
I didnt disturb her, she kept coming up to me an nipping at my toes. I looked down at her an she was straining and pushing an i could see an egg ..i watched her for a bit strain an squeek an grunt before i got the bath. Once i got the bath she got it right out. I brought her back to her enclosure where she laid another about 20 mins ago. I think shes ok but i will def remember that for future ref. I wouldnt wana harm her trying to help her. & The eggs ive found are in the incubator.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK

& thank you sm for the quick response I was really scared for her. Was about to bring her to the animal hospital. Also the tortoise in your pic is so beautiful 😍

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
& thank you sm for the quick response I was really scared for her. Was about to bring her to the animal hospital. Also the tortoise in your pic is so beautiful 😍
Is this a first time mom?

Housed indoors? If yes, is there a deep suitable area to lay eggs in?

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
Yes indoors & yes she initially had about 6 inches of substrate in her enclosure but when I noticed her digging with her back legs & "nesting" I added an area on one side with about 12inches of substrate so she could go nuts.. she is about 8 inches.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
Odd that she isn't digging a proper nest. Something is off somewhere.
She actually dug many holes. Like I said the only reason I even knew what was going on was her coming to me lightly biting at my toes which she never does. That's when I heard her straining and grunting. I think she was impacted or something and the soak allowed her to get it out.. I feel better that she was able to lay a cple eggs but if she wasn't able to get them out I'd be at the animal hospital right now. I was getting scared for her. I'm a little weirded out that it was only 2 eggs compared to 4 each year I've had her but I was told they can lay in clutches. Anyway thank you to everyone who responded. Much appreciated

Meesh

BRUNSWICK

Do you think it's normal to lay eggs 2 days apart?? She layed those 2 on the 12th than I saw her lay 2 more last night.. isnt there supposed to be at least 3 weeks between clutches? I separated the male on the 12th when she layed the first 2 I don't plan on putting him.back in there with her anytime soon

zovick

10 Year Member!
Do you think it's normal to lay eggs 2 days apart?? She layed those 2 on the 12th than I saw her lay 2 more last night.. isnt there supposed to be at least 3 weeks between clutches? I separated the male on the 12th when she layed the first 2 I don't plan on putting him.back in there with her anytime soon
No, it is not normal for a female tortoise to lay eggs 2 days apart. This would indicate that there is a problem with something. Usually it is because the female cannot find a nesting area which is to her liking, so hangs on the the eggs until she absolutely cannot do so any longer (possibly becoming egg bound in the process).

Another possibility is that the eggs are very large and difficult for a young female to pass. If you see a female having difficulty passing an egg, the best thing to do is lubricate the cloacal opening with mineral oil to allow easier laying. This can be done relatively inobtrusively by dipping a cotton swab in the mineral oil and running it around the portion of the egg which the tortoise is trying to pass. Usually, this can be done without even moving the female tortoise.

The eggs from 2 days later are not a second clutch in my opinion. They are part of the first clutch which the female did not lay for some reason. A second clutch would not be calcified enough to be laid only 2 days after the first clutch. After one clutch is laid, it takes at least 3-4 weeks for the eggs in the next clutch to get shells on them.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
No, it is not normal for a female tortoise to lay eggs 2 days apart. This would indicate that there is a problem with something. Usually it is because the female cannot find a nesting area which is to her liking, so hangs on the the eggs until she absolutely cannot do so any longer (possibly becoming egg bound in the process).

Another possibility is that the eggs are very large and difficult for a young female to pass. If you see a female having difficulty passing an egg, the best thing to do is lubricate the cloacal opening with mineral oil to allow easier laying. This can be done relatively inobtrusively by dipping a cotton swab in the mineral oil and running it around the portion of the egg which the tortoise is trying to pass. Usually, this can be done without even moving the female tortoise.

The eggs from 2 days later are not a second clutch in my opinion. They are part of the first clutch which the female did not lay for some reason. A second clutch would not be calcified enough to be laid only 2 days after the first clutch. After one clutch is laid, it takes at least 3-4 weeks for the eggs in the next clutch to get shells on them.
That's what I thought too. An yes they are quite a bit larger than her eggs from last year. She really struggled this time. Huffing an puffing, squeeking, straining, grunting went on all day til she finally got the first one out last night. The second was about 30 mins later

zovick

10 Year Member!
That's what I thought too. An yes they are quite a bit larger than her eggs from last year. She really struggled this time. Huffing an puffing, squeeking, straining, grunting went on all day til she finally got the first one out last night. The second was about 30 mins later
You might want to take her to a vet and have her X-rayed to see if she has any more eggs in her from this clutch. If so, I would recommend giving Lutalyse or Oxytocin to get her to lay them.

Good luck.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
You might want to take her to a vet and have her X-rayed to see if she has any more eggs in her from this clutch. If so, I would recommend giving Lutalyse or Oxytocin to get her to lay them.

Good luck.
Thanks!