1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Struggling with variety

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by andyhubbert, Aug 9, 2018.

1. andyhubbert

andyhubbert Member

Hi

So basically my tort loves clover and kale. Tried to introduce plantains and he likes ribwort but won’t touch broadleaf plantain or thistle. Occasionally even turns his nose up at dandelion!!

Basically looking for ideas of things I can feed that torts go mad for to try and encourage variety as I’m sure it’s basically down to the shop where I got him from feeding lettuces and kale a lot

Thanks!
  2. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Keep mixing it up and offering variety.
    Just because it's edible does not mean your tortoise will eat it.
    (As you are finding out)
  3. LaLaP

LaLaP New Member

Hey Andy,
    I'm pretty new here but from reading and experimenting with my picky eater if you chop up some of his favorite stuff (like kale) and chop up something you'd like him to eat (like plantain) and mix it all together he might try it. At first I even covered the top of the pile in the favored plant and had a mix of both under that. If it works you can phase out or lessen the favorites and add others until you are feeding a healthy mix. Good luck.
    T Smart likes this.
  4. andyhubbert

andyhubbert Member

Well you might be new but that sounds like a great idea I will try it!

Thanks!
  5. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Probably the shop, as you say.

It took my tortoise five months to transition from what I assume was a prior diet of mostly romaine, not much else. And she was outside in the spring, when they are at their hungriest.

Now she’ll eat seemingly everything. Except kale and collards, cabbage and bok choy. :) She’s wild caught, so sure didn’t eat them growing up and I assume they weren’t offered when she was living elsewhere. Not the biggest fan of lettuce, actually, other than the bitter ones. Or clover or plantain!

They are all different in what they like. Keep at it, just as Zeropilot says.

You can try mixing a little dashed cucumber or cucumber juice; that will often get them interested. Or grate in a tiny bit of summer or winter squash, just a little. Then just sneak in a little of the new food at a time.

And try to relax (unlikely, I know). You’ve only had him three weeks; you’ve got decades to go. It’s just a phase.