Stubborn stars !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesha

5 Year Member
Im a new to torts and hav 2 indian stars since a month. Both about 4 inches .. problem is they eat only tomatoes .. I made the mistake of feeding them tomatoes all this while for the first 3 weeks ...now im trying cabbage leaves, pea pods, ladys finger, spring onions, and papaya and even pomegranate skin. But they r just not touching these .. they havent eaten since yesterday night ( yest was tomatoes again :dodgy: )... now how do I make them eat anything other than tomatoes !?!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Haven't ate since last night? That's not so bad. Tough love is my recommendation. Don't offer any tomatoes until they eat some greens.

gieseygirly said:
Haven't ate since last night? That's not so bad. Tough love is my recommendation. Don't offer any tomatoes until they eat some greens.

Or something other than tomatoes.

gesha

5 Year Member
Oh.. thnx .. tht was the answer I was looking for .. :).... im just gonna wait n watch how long they hold their stand :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ew-w...I wouldn't be eating either if those were my choices. Try offering some opuntia (prickly pear) cactus, succulents, flowers, and weeds, Romaine, Rockett salad and other leafy greens mixed with dried grass

gesha

5 Year Member
Hahhaah . Yvonne..:shy:.. I wish .. but I dont get those things here wher I live...but flowers and grass I can get ... but these 2 guys who dont eat pappaya n pomegranate, how are they gonna find grass n flowers tastier??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take a look at the tortoisetable.org for edible flower and weed ideas. Cabbage is not a good item to feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need some leafy greens, not fruit or fruit skins.

Weeds grow everywhere in the world. You just have to figure out which ones to offer.

Do they have grocery stores where you are? Do people eat salad? Try some of those leafy salad greens and sprinkle some finely chopped grass over the top of it.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I went through same thing, just my tort only wanted his mazuri, and nothing else. I did the tough love thing, once his appetite grew, he ate his greens like a good lil tort. Itll change quicker than you think, just stay diligent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

gesha

5 Year Member
Oh thnx TommyZ...:)
...thts really reassuring. ..

And tom.. as I mentioned before I tried to giv them green leafy veggies..

Status
Not open for further replies.